Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Birads 4

Options

My 38 year old daughter went for her first mammo (since I had breast cancer they wanted to do one at a younger age) and the mammo.sono came back Birads 4 with a sold nodule and a cyst with debris. How panicked should we be? She has a ultrasound biopsy scheduled for next week.

Comments

  • kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 402
    Options

    Not very. Birads 4 has anywhere from 10% chance of malignancy to 90%. The vast majorities of biopsies turn out fine. She hasn't had a mammogram before so they have nothing to compare her breasts to. It's not uncommon to have other tests with your first mammogram at all.

  • mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

    I agree with kaynotrealname. I had breast cancer three times (see bio below). I had 54 genes tested including the BRCA genes with no defects found. My mother and two of my three sisters had breast cancer. My daughter had her first mammogram at 40, (a few years later than recommended because of Covid) and she needed more views and testing. Her results were benign.

    Let's be honest, as a mom, we worry and there is nothing anyone tells us that will change that! However, it is most likely benign. When my daughter was going through it, I was worried, but I remembered that none of my 4 nieces, age range from upper 40's to mid 50's, have had breast cancer (or thankfully any other cancer), even though two of them, like my daughter, had mother's and a grandmother who had breast cancer. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason when it comes to breast cancer.

    Wishing your daughter well for her biopsy. Waiting really is the hardest part, but it's even harder when it's your daughter's results you are waiting for! Sending you a ((((cyber hug))))!

    Please let us know how things go with your daughter!