Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Letrozole

Options

Can Letrozole cause colitis in the sigmoid colon.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,798
    Options

I have never heard of this as a side effect but as with all drugs, there can be rare se’s. Have you googled it?

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 887
    Options

@bridgegolf31, While rare, there is some association between letrozole and colitis but no cause/effect relationship has been established.

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/letrozole/ulcerative-colitis/

I've experienced eosinophilic esophagitis with an antibiotic ("allergic" reaction at the other end of the GI tract) which was confirmed with blood work, a biopsy and the start of problems soon after beginning the drug. Since so many things can cause colitis it might be best to discuss with your doctor whether you should pause letrozole for a while to see if the colitis improves.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

bridgegolf31, I have found to get rare SE in these medications. I replaced letrozole after 2.5 years of being a devoted user. I was feeling sick, all blood tests were normal but I was looking and feeling like half my body was becoming dysfunctional. I start recovering in 6 weeks break and the new AI, exemestane is better but building up slowly with other SE. None of these SE are in the books. If you feel that you may have a condition when you start letrozole, most likely that's what it is. Talk to your MO to switch to another one.