Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Time From TE Surgery to First Fill?

Options

I had my TE's placed again on Tuesday, 7/18. I go back on 7/25 for a post-op and the plastic surgeon mentioned wanting to start filling that day, so only one week post surgery. He was unable to add any saline when he implanted the TE's as this is the second time we've attempted reconstruction.

My question is, does this sound like a safe plan (to do the first fill at one week post-surgery?) Should I be asking to postpone for a week or so? I really don't want to do anything to jeopardize the integrity of the incisions as that is why they failed the first time around (insufficient blood supply following the mastectomy/reconstruction combo.)

Christina

Comments

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 762
    Options

@momgoose Hi Hope your feeling better each day. It's been a couple years since my surgery but I know the first fill was within 1-2 weeks. I would express your concerns and see what your doc has to say.I don't think your doctor would perform the fill if they thought it was going to cause an issue. It's possible that they are going to fill a small amount to test and then increase. Ask as many questions as it takes for you to feel comfortable with the process. After all we are our own best advocate. Best wishes.

• momgoose
    momgoose Member Posts: 71
    Options

@cookie54 Thank you for your kind comments. It does make me feel better to know that it can happen that quickly. I'm really trying to trust my surgeon, but he is leaving in less than a month and has a 6 month old baby and I sort of feel like he might be a little distracted! He won't mind the question, but after having failed one reconstruction, I really really do no want to fail this one for such a simple thing!

Christina

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

@momgoose Like Cookie54, my surgery was a few years ago. I had my first fill four days post op and only required two more after that; I was done by week two post op. Everything went smooth for me, no issues with any of it. I hope everything goes well for you!

• momgoose
    momgoose Member Posts: 71
    Options

@serendipity09 - Thank you for your kind encouragement. Despite the PS telling both me and my husband that we would be doing the first fill today, that didn't happen. That's fine. I will feel better letting the wounds heal for an additional 7 days. Now if only these stupid drains would be gone…but that didn't happen either!

I can't believe how fast your process was done - I think that's the fastest I've ever heard! I'm glad it worked out so well for you!:)

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 762
    Options

@momgoose The drains are the absolute worst agree! I remember them reaching the low output point on a Friday and the PS office saying "oh come in Monday". I was like no way I will be there today! I didn't want them in another second if they didn't need to be there. So I get it and hope you get them out any day now.

Agree if it's best to heal another 7 days then so be it. It's all a process as you know but wishing you much success.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

@momgoose it was quick and thank you!

Ugh, the drains! I had five put in during the BMX and four were out by the end of week two. The fifth one, however did not come out until almost six weeks post op. I had six drains put in last August and all of them were out by week two. They are such a nuisance more than anything.

I was glad to have my fills done so quickly after surgery. I've talked to so many who said that the fills were painful, but because I was still numb (I think) I didn't feel a thing. I hope you heal quickly.