Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting for biopsy results

Options

hello all- I had my biopsy last Thursday and I am still waiting for the results. Is this a bad sign? I read that when they find a malignancy they need to run additional tests and that is why it may take longer ! I am a super worried! Is this really a bad sign? I was trying to stay positive but right now I am desperate ! I appreciate your thoughts - thanks so much

Comments

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 57
    Options

hi @martu ! Ugh I’m so sorry the waiting for biopsy results is so nerve wrecking , I remember it well! Try not to assume the worst, it’s easy to do. Many factors other than a cancer diagnosis could be a reason for why you haven’t heard anything. I was told 3-7 days before I would hear something. My first biopsy I knew in three days(not including weekend) another one took 5. It can also depend on how busy your lab is, if it’s done there or has to be sent to an outside lab. If you are that worried and the weekend is going to be miserable for you call your doctor tomorrow … see what they say. Best wishes to you, hang in there!

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,149
    Options

martu, I have had breast cancer three times. My first two biopsies took a full 8 days to get results, the last time, almost exactly one year ago, it only took 2 days. All were positive.

Waiting is the worst part! No matter what the results, there is something comforting in finding out the results. Each time I got my positive result I still had a sense of relief because I knew I could then meet with my doctors and come up with a plan. For me, it is the "not knowing" that is the worst part because it prevented me from making a plan moving forward. It was as if my life was on "pause."

I was pre-menopausal when first diagnosed and I am still here 20 years later!

I don't know if the length of time really has anything to do with the result. I don't remember any discussion on the amount of time it took to get biopsy results and what the results were. It would be interesting to take a poll, but honestly, none of that really matters because when one is waiting for results, only a call from their doctor with the results means anything!

Hang in there, either way there is support on this message board.

• martu
    martu Member Posts: 7
    Options

Flowergirl 1975 and Mavericksmom, thank you so much for responding and for sharing your experiences. It is really comforting and I really appreciate it. You are both warriors and I hope you are both doing well!

I am trying to stay positive but it is very hard. I have two kids ages 13 and 8 and the idea of not seeing them into adulthood terrifies me. I agree with you Mavericks mom, waiting is terrible! Not knowing what to do or what the next steps are- is painful! I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get some answers. I will report the results when I get them. Thanks for the support!

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 57
    Options

@martu how are you doing? Did you find out anything today? Being positive at the beginning is VERY hard. It’s ok to be scared, it’s a scary thing. What you should keep in mind is that if it’s nothing than that’s great, if it’s something than you are going to be strong and deal with it! Everyone on here is here to support you through this. I was in your shoes this last March/April and unfortunately my biopsy showed cancer. Since that time I have had 2 lumpectomies,1 double mastectomy, and 2 rounds of chemo. Once I had my results and I knew my plan things got better! Hang in there…. I am hoping for good news for you! Hugs!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    Options

Yes, @martu we are all thinking of you! Please come back to share what you find out about your results. Sending hugs and good wishes for benign results!

—The Mods

• martu
    martu Member Posts: 7
    Options

hello all - thanks so much for all your support ! I got the results yesterday - the mass is B9. You are all wonderful and kind - women - your support was incredibly helpful. I wish you all the best in your recovery journeys . Thanks so much !

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 345
    edited July 2023
    Options

@martu You have gotten excellent encouragement from @mavericksmom and @flowergirl1975 and the moderators. All I can. Add is that if your biopsy comes back positive for breast cancer, please know that women and men diagnosed with this today are very fortunate to have the treatments that are given. These new drugs have come out in 2017 and there are so many treatments that give extended years to BC patients who are benefitting with much longer lives to be with their families. When I was first diagnosed in 2009, these new drugs hadn’t come out yet and at the time my prognosis was 5 years with a high eventuality it would progress to advanced stage. So, try to put your mind and your family’s minds at ease with the hope offered to women today with these new treatments. Also be aware that waiting waiting waiting and more waiting is the one thing you can be sure of with this diagnosis…..its a waiting game between appointments tests, follow ups, biopsies, scans, bloodwork, etc etc😉.. just try to remember everyone here will be here to listen and encourage, share stories, laugh and weep together. You found a good place to be.🩵