Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MRI Biopsy

Options

Hi, I was diagnosed with ADH in June of this year after my mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. I decided to get a second opinion for several reasons. The second Oncologist practice contacted me in July indicating after reviewing my images that I actually have DCIS stage 0. They recommended that I have an MRI and also recommended a lumpectomy which was scheduled for August 28. I received a call from my surgeon indicating that the MRI results showed more activity in my right dense breast and because of that they cancelled the surgery. They now want to proceed with an additional MRI biopsy before my surgery. I am pleased to know at this point that the surgeon is choosing to probe more with a second biopsy rather than perform surgery immediately or even having to do a second surgery. There is good chance that they may recommend a mastectomy rather than a lumpectomy depending on my test results. All this is quite overwhelming because I am 67 years old and never had any issues previously with my breast screenings as well as no family history. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to my diagnosis? Honestly, I am very comfortable with my new Oncologist because she has been very thorough in her discussions with me. I am just sooo confused!!! Thanks very much.

Comments

  • needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 162
    Options

    Hello @goawaycancer. Tonight seems a little quiet on this forum but I’m sure you’ll soon get some very helpful advice from more experienced ones here. I just wanted to say welcome! Many of us know and understand your feelings all too well as we first learned something was amiss inside our breast(s). It sounds like you are taking all the right steps from my super-limited experience and it’s wonderful you are comfortable with your new oncologist. I’m sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed! This is a lot to process and learn about at first. I’m so glad you joined here and reached out. I know you’ll receive lots of kind support from everyone here. I’ll be thinking of you. Wishing you all the best during this difficult time!

  • goawaycancer
    goawaycancer Member Posts: 5
    Options

    Greetings needs.a.nap!
    Thank you so very much for your reply and kind words of encouragement. My faith in God is helping me to stay strong but every now and then I feel lost through this journey. I am so grateful that I found this support family during this trying time.

    Again, I thank you 🙏

  • katg
    katg Member Posts: 206
    Options

    goawaycancer. I am glad you feel comfortable with the oncologist. I have been treated at City of Hope in California for the past 2 years. I too got an MRI when they wanted to see more clearly. An Ultrasound and CT scan are good, but the MRI gets all around the breast. At my MR, I was put lying down on the machine and the breasts were faced down. This allowed the machine to get all the way around sight. It confirmed what had been found in my other tests.

    I want to say is keep praying, ask God for the courage and grace to ask the questions that concern you and know nearly every oncologist is looking at results to find a way to get you into the "curative" category.

  • harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 273
    Options

    Hi Goaway

    I’m sorry you had to join us here but this is a great community of support that is very helpful.

    I was diagnosed with ADH at the stereotactic biopsy which was upgraded to IDC after the lumpectomy and resulted in a second lumpectomy to get clear margins. A 2nd opinion is a good idea if you are uncomfortable with your first doctor. That said, I see a couple of red flags with your second opinion. DCIS can only be confirmed through a biopsy and pathology. It may be suspected with imaging but cannot be confirmed with imaging. A radiologist reads the imaging and determines if a lump is suspicious. How did the oncologist determine you have DCIS?

    Also keep in mind that while MRI is wonderful it has a high false positive rate and a biopsy is needed to confirm. The pathologist will confirm the diagnosis not the oncologist nor the surgeon.

    It's fine to consider options in case it is DCIS but please don't make any decisions until you have the pathology report. Mastectomy is a major surgery so please make sure you understand the benefits vs risks. Depending on the size of the DCIS a mastectomy may not be needed. A lumpectomy is a common treatment in today's breast cancer world. Given your age, radiation may or may not be suggested if you have DCIS and a lumpectomy. Some doctors consider DCIS a 'pre cancer' and take an even more conservative treatment approach.

    I'm a bit of a cynic with regards to the US Healthcare system. If you are in the US please consider that revenue drives our Healthcare system and many doctors are being pushed to undertake unnecessary aggressive treatment to increase revenue. Aggressive treatment, especially if not warranted increases your risk of unwanted side effects such as lymphedema.

    I wish you the best going forward.

  • goawaycancer
    goawaycancer Member Posts: 5
    Options

    What a wonderful person you are to take the time to break down so much valuable information!!! I am home resting now because I had a MRI/biopsy, ultrasound, mammogram this morning and yes I am in the US. I will not be getting my test results for 3 to 5 days. I definitely will not rush when it comes to making a final decision. I need to see what the new biopsy MRI results indicate. Thank you so very much.

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,907
    Options

    @goawaycancer We just wanted to check in on you and see if you've received your test results? Any updates?

    We're thinking of you!

    —The Mods