Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2023?

Options
moderators
moderators Posts: 7,966

A place for the September sisters to gather and support each other!

For inspiration and what to expect, see August 2023's thread.

Comments

• moderators
    Options

Anyone starting chemo this month? Would love to hear your experiences and have you gather here to support each other ❤️

• layla21
    layla21 Member Posts: 16
    Options

Starting AC tomorrow morning

• moderators
    Options

Hi @layla21! Welcome to Breastcance.org.

We're so very sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're so glad you've found us. You're sure to find our Community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support — we're all here for you!

We're sure others will be by shortly to share their experiences with AC, but we wanted to welcome you. Some helpful information:

We will all be right in your pocket tomorrow for your first treatment. Please come back and let us know how it goes and how you're feeling after. You got this!

—The Mods

• izzyc123
    izzyc123 Member Posts: 27
    Options

I'm "hoping" to start this month. Waiting on pre-certs. The plan is D/C/H/P.

• moderators
    Options

We're sorry you had to join us, but wanted to send you a warm welcome to the group, @izzyc123! You'll be in good company here. Please, come back to let us know how you're doing!

Best,

The Mods

• moderators
    Options

@layla21, thinking of you! How was your first treatment this week? How are you feeling?

—The Mods

• layla21
    Options

@moderators It went well. No nausea, some blurry vision, red face, steroid sweats, and mouth sores. Feeling mostly good. I just went on my first bike ride since surgery last month. Happiness is...

• moderators
    Options

@layla21 - We're glad to hear that. Keep staying positive, and remember that we're all here to support you through this!

The Mods

• izzyc123
    Options

have an ECHO Monday, port placement Wednesday morning and chemo starts immediately after.

@layla21 how are you doing?

• layla21
    Options

@izzyc123 I'm doing pretty good. I've been staying active & drinking fluids like it's a f/t job. I got normal sick this week & got IV fluids + antibiotic, but on the mend. My second infusion is Wednesday 9/27.

What chemo plan are you starting? Are you nervous or just anxious to get going?

• ktmalhotra
    ktmalhotra Member Posts: 4
    Options

@izzyc123 - I was diagnosed 9/11 Stage 2A. ER-, PgR-, HER2+. Chemo started 9/11. How are you doing?

• izzyc123
    Options

@layla21 and @ktmalhotra I started my chemo today. I hope your second infusion went well. I'm doing TCHP (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin and Perjeta). Trying the scalp cooling as well as the cooling mittens and socks as well. My hands are a little tingly but I also have had issues with my hands after getting a mild frostbite back in 1994 so that could be the combination of the cold packs and my frostbite difficulties. Otherwise, I feel good. Drinking a ton of water. Started that as soon as I found out I'd be having chemo because practice makes perfect, right?

• izzyc123
    Options

@ktmalhotra How has it been for you so far?

• izzyc123
    Options

Got my first round on Thursday. Friday was good. Hit an exhaustion wall somewhere around 1:30-2:00. Came home and took a nap and felt well enough to go to our high school football game. Saturday was good. Only minor complaints: mouth feels like I burned it on hot coffee or soup, mild tingling in my hands (I'm using cooling mittens during chemo). The warm baking soda and salt water rinses work wonders for my mouth. I also swear by Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask. Better than any chap stick out there. Today, Sunday, I feel "heavy". The best way I know how to describe it is when you're moving through a pool from one side to another. That resistance. Wound up taking a laxative today because I've not pooped much since Wednesday. I may regret that but I've also heard horror stories about chemo constipation. 

I hope all of you are doing well!

• moderators
    Options

@izzyc123 - Thank you for sharing your experience here with everybody. We know that going through chemo can be incredibly challenging! If you are worried about constipation, you might want to check out the following articles and podcast from our main site:

Podcast: Constipation — Breast Cancer Treatment Side Effects

Eating When You Have Constipation

Constipation

Hope this helps!

The Mods

• layla21
    Options

My second infusion didn't happen because of blood counts being too low. I started losing my hair a few days ago and am really winded on walks. Otherwise I'm ok. I hope to get back on schedule this Wednesday.

@izzyc123 Did you end up regretting the laxative. I take magnesium every night, but I did my colace & senna tea just in case I need them in the future. I also am going to buy Claritin for the WBC injection.

• izzyc123
    Options

@layla21 I did not regret the laxative. I actually wish I'd taken more. Yesterday, day 4 post chemo, my gut seized up. I left work early and came home and was literally begging to poop. The cramping was so bad that it was making me vomit. Asked my hubby to go get an enema AND mag citrate but wound up not needing either as everything finally let loose about the time he got home. Today has been better, a few loose stools but nothing terrible. I'm just exhausted. Found a couple of things that tasted good to eat and have been eating ice chips because nothing else is remotely decent. Hoping this was all just an anomaly and my gut got slowed down extra because I got my port the day before but I'll definitely be taking a laxative the two days before my next chemo (suggested by my onc's nurse). I can't do that pain again.

• izzyc123
    Options

@layla21 and @ktmalhotra checking in on you guys….

• layla21
    Options

@izzyc123 I'm doing ok. I've side effects but they are manageable for now. I'm drinking water and walking like it's a full-time job. I did get my 2nd AC infusion on 10/4 and next one is this Wednesday. I was started on a sleep med, which has been very helpful. How are you?

• jh40
    jh40 Member Posts: 140
    Options

Just stopping by to be a cheerleader for everyone on this thread going through chemo. It remains the hardest thing I've ever done and I never thought I'd make it through. Next month it will be a year since my last infusion of weekly Taxol. Still on Trazimera (Herceptin) every 3 weeks until January. My hair is back and curly and I'm here to wish all of you strength and love. I think of of everyone going through chemo all the time. You will make it through!

• moderators
    Options

Thank you for your any and all cheerleading here! Hang in there, everyone! 💓

• izzyc123
    Options

@layla21 i had my second TCHP yesterday. Started with Miralax and colace ahead of time this go round. Coming down of the steroids tonight and i'm incredibly sleepy. Hoping the lower GI symptoms are easier this time.

• layla21
    Options

@izzyc123 omy gosh with the sleepy! I've drifted in and out of sleep for the past three days. Incredible that we can still be tired after so much sleeping!

• layla21
    Options

@ktmalhotra How are you?

• ktmalhotra
    ktmalhotra Member Posts: 4
    Options

@layla21 @izzyc123 - Hope your treatments are going well and side effects are subsiding. I have my third infusion this week. First week is usually the hardest and by the time I start to feel like a human being, the next round awaits. Fatigue, mouth soars, loss of taste, nausea come in varying degrees. Hydrating well is the key right now.

• njdogmom
    njdogmom Member Posts: 181
    Options

Just checking in from the April 2023 chemo thread to cheer you all on. I finished chemo on September 7th, had a lumpectomy/lymph nodes in October and am starting radiation this month. Chemo is a long and difficult journey. I hope you find the same support and camaraderie in your September thread that we found in the April thread. We used to try to check in daily to share our experiences. Our April crew have become my good friends. I don't know how I'd have gotten through without them. Stay hydrated, get lots of rest and stay strong September thread!

• izzyc123
    Options

@layla21 and @ktmalhotra I'm coming up on my third treatment this Thursday. My second treatment wound up rough but not because of the chemo, rather, I wound up with Covid on top of it. Had chemo Thursday, 10/19 and wound up with cold-like symptoms on Saturday. Sunday spiked a fever and felt AWFUL. Tested positive for Covid on Tuesday. But….we survived! I've been extra tired as a result, but last week was much better. A little better every day. I'm a little mad because things still taste "off" thanks to Covid, but that's ok. At least we are on the other side and now I don't have to worry about getting Covid for the remainder of my treatments! It's all about perspective.

• moderators
    Options

Oh no @izzyc123, we're so sorry to hear that! We're glad you're on the road to recovery and hope your next treatment is uneventful.

The Mods

• gracie_ibc
    gracie_ibc Member Posts: 10
    Options

New to this site - I started TCHP in early September.

My third round of chemo was delayed a week due to low platelets, and I'm due for my fourth end of next week. I'm hoping for no more delays, but I only have so much control over that, I guess. My last is currently scheduled for 12/29, and just to add to the fun, I'm switching health care systems at the beginning of the year.

@izzyc123 @layla21 @ktmalhotra I hope you all are hanging in there.

• izzyc123
    Options

@gracie_ibc Welcome! I hate that you're here but glad to have you join us, if that makes sense? I wish none us were here, but here we are.

I go tomorrow for my third round of six. I survived Covid after my second round and my two main complaints are the diarrhea the first week after and the swelling that starts the third week and then goes away with my next treatment. I'm planning to ask for a diuretic to use just for that week.