Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can bone mets pain come and go for 5 years ?

Options

I am hoping this posts to the appropriate place. I am trying to post inside the “not stage 4 but have questions “ group but each time I try to submit a question box my phone is redirecting me.

my question is whether any of you have experienced pain that comes and goes for an extended period of time that turned out to be benign? I have had left side hip/ low back/ pelvic pain off and on for 5 years . It will bother me for a month or so at a time and then go away for a couple months before returning . I am constantly in fear of this being bone Mets but am too scared to get a bone scan. When it goes away I forget how much it bothers me until it returns and then I spend weeks in constant worry. Please don’t judge me, I know this sounds like an insane way to live but I seriously don’t think I could take a cancer reoccurrence diagnosis. I feel like I am living a secret nightmare hiding my fear from my family and trying to diagnose myself from Google . All sad and pathetic but true. If it were bone Mets would the pain have escalated by now over 5 years? What does bone Mets pain feel like ? My pain varies from dull ache to a “crampy” feeling around my left hip and abdomen . Occasional accompanied by left leg pain down to my foot but mostly my pelvis and ASIS joint. If I can find a good pressure point and apply pressure that will sometimes alleviate the pain. Or Tylenol. Any support or shared info appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,801
    edited September 2023
    Options

I am sorry that you’re going through such mental and physical pain. Unfortunately, what others have experienced has little bearing on what might be going on with you. I have bone mets and have never had any pain for instance but that’s just me. Please, please see your doctor to determine what the pain is.Guessing, googling, hoping, asking us will not yield any answers. Also please consider therapy for your anxiety. Many of us find it very helpful! This is tough but five years is a very long time to suffer regardless of the cause. Take care

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

I agree with Exbronx, see your Dr. I was recently Dx’d with cancer for the 3rd time, this time in my bones. I don’t have any pain in the 4 spots. Would never had known if my tumor markers hadn’t jumped. Could be arthritis, or something else but for your peace of mind, call your Dr.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 388
    Options

You definitely do need to see your doctor. I will say though that signs of spread usually do not involve symptoms that come and go without ever getting worse especially when it's something that has been going on for five years. It's more than likely something that has to do with normal aging.

• ingodshands
    ingodshands Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for taking your time to answer my post. I’m not sure what I’m going to do moving forward.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 388
    Options

Anxiety is hard. I so get it. I also get not going to a doctor because of it. The one thing I would caution is to look at the possible consequences of that choice straight in the eye and be okay with it. If you don't go and this is secondaries, then it will cost you your life at some point sooner than you want. However, if you do go, and it's secondaries they could treat it which would probably prolong things for a quite a bit and even possibly get rid of much of your pain. And then if you go, and it's not secondaries they could just treat you and perhaps you'd get a better quality of life. So just make sure you're okay with the consequences of not going. If you're not, then seek some mental health so that your anxiety doesn't stop you from doing things that are good for your body. Because doctors are vital if we want to age well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.