Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

LCIS future

Options

Hi, I'm 37 and was just told I have LCIS . I had an excision done on a radial scar and found it to have LCIS cells. They said my margins looked good. I'm here because I am scared and worried and surprised by this news. I'm wondering what I do now and what treatments I'm looking at now? I keep telling myself I don't have cancer and I should be thankful, but a part of me says what you have just tells you prob will have it with time...I'm realy lost and would realy like someone to talk to about their experience with this diagnosis. Thank you

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 871
    Options

Hi @olson31 , It's worrying to develop any kind of breast lesion even if it is benign. Radial scars are sneaky in that they can hide nonmalignant cells, DCIS and invasive cancer. Your excisional biopsy that found the LCIS cells had clear margins so there is no current threat.

Your risk of having breast cancer in the future is only slightly increased. In general, women have a 13% lifetime risk of developing breast cancer. A woman diagnosed with LCIS has a 20% 20 year risk of developing DCIS (noninvasive) or invasive breast cancer. These statistics apply to large populations so there is no predicting what will happen to you in the future. Given the 7% increased risk you should be vigilant but there is no need to assume it is just a matter of time before it hits you. Even if it does happen, breast cancer discovered in early stages has an excellent outcome with treatment. All the best.

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206
    Options

I agree with maggie15. I did land at a research hospital and found i had Brca2.

But i do agree that what was found in you is at the start. i hope the dr is meeting with you, to ease your mind. At COH in Duarte California, the team meets weekly if they have cases that need more than one set of eyes.

I never dreamed I would get breast cancer, but i do have 2 friends that get lumpy bumps looked at and they have never been cancer. Another had the cancer in her breast removed with the biopsy.

I hope you can get up and walk outside, do something around the house, just keep busy.

Call the doctors if you do not have an appointment and talk with them. It is mid week, there are people that will take your call.

Be good to yourself. I have learned that for everything there is a solution. You will be ok.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Hi @olson31,

We're just checking in on you to see how you're doing since you first posted. Have you found the members' posts above helpful? Have you discussed your options with your doctor?

You might find this information on LCIS helpful to get some more knowledge about this diagnosis.

We are thinking of you!

—The Mods

• guineapiglover2
    guineapiglover2 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am English and here the breast clinic is brilliant. I too have LCIS.I had a lumpectomy over a year ago to remove a 48mm fibroadenoma. I thought it was all done and dusted until they discovered LCIS in it which is a rare finding. With these sorts of things please be reassured you are now on the breast clinic radar. I have benign breast disease and dense breasts so it's really tricky to know what's going on. As soon as I am concerned I will ring the clinic, last time they saw me straight away and I had an MRI. I can understand that knowing abnormal cells have been found and could be potentially be elsewhere in the breasts can be worrying. I just tell myself it's not classed as cancer as it's contained in the milk lobules. Plus if anything changes the yearly mammograms / ultrasound will catch anything early. Don't worry you are not alone, although it's a rare finding there are others like us . I think it's great to share as it helps. I try and tell myself not to worry about tomorrow as it hasn't happened yet and you are in good hands. I tell myself not everyone with LCIS get breast cancer , it's only an indicator of higher risk so please try and stay positive and just remain breast aware. Thinking of you as I know it's easier said than done.xx

Best wishes Guineapiglover2

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

@guineapiglover2 - Welcome to the BCO community, and thank you for sharing your personal experience and advice here with everybody. It’s so helpful! Please let us know if there’s something we can do for you, we’re always here!

Warmly,

The Mods