Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Suspected intraductal papilloma

txabby
txabby Member Posts: 8
edited September 2023 in Benign Breast Conditions

Hi there, I’m in the process of getting answers but curious what others have experienced. I am 41, likely perimenopausal.

Over a month again I first had spontaneous clear discharge from one breast. That happened a few times. One month ago I woke up and had a circle of clear discharge on my shirt. Over the next few days it turned to yellow, then bloody. The following week it was rust colored. The rust colored was not spontaneous but it didn’t take much pressure for the discharge to come out. It seems it has now lessened and if I gently squeeze it is more or less blood. I try not to squeeze often so that I’m not creating trauma to the area.

I saw my gyn, had diagnostic mammo and U/S. The mammo didn’t show anything other than dense tissue and some micro calcifications. The US found a small hypoechoic round intraductal mass within a cyst. The duct is dilated.

I was scheduled for a biopsy two days ago but they cancelled it and said the first radiologist should not have scheduled it due to the location inside the nipple. They were very apologetic. The new radiologist and my gyn both connected with the surgeon to get on the same page. I have a consult with the surgeon Monday for excision surgery, at which time they might biopsy while I’m still under to see if they should take more tissue.

My questions are:

1. Is the discharge lessening a positive thing? What would make it spontaneously start and turn yellow then bloody then slow down over a month?
  2. My breast is feeling heavier and tighter. Maybe this is in my head, not sure. Related?
  3. I have read every retrospective study possible on intraductal papillomas. It sounds like I have a textbook case. Is there anything else at this point that could indicate the result going one way or the other?
  4. Is there any chance the recent development of metal tasting very strong and sore teeth being related? Just throwing this question in there because these two things are very noticeable and started with the other issues.

Thank you for your thoughts

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

@txabby, welcome to Breastcancer.org! Sorry to hear about your current concerns, but many people who aren't diagnosed but are worried also find support and good information here.

While you are waiting for others to respond to your post you may want to check out these links to more resources and information about:

Central Intraductal Papilloma

Peripheral Intraductal Papillomas

Good luck next Monday and please, update us when you learn more. We hope you will hear from others here as well.

Best,

The Mods

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 258

Hi Txabby. I had a central intraductal papilloma that was painful and produced a pressure beneath the nipple. I did not have the discharge which is usually typical of a papilloma. I had a biopsy, as they weren't sure what it was, and it was a 2.5 cm papilloma that contained a 1.2 cm IDC and 2 DCIS spots. Apparently this can happen with some papillomas. I didn't experience any of your other symptoms. Removal of the papilloma is usually recommended (I chose mastectomy) and at that time the pathology will be examined. Here's hoping everything turns out benign. Best of luck! BTW, I'm from Corpus Christi!

• txabby

@murfy thanks for the reply! Did you have an US that showed the papilloma? If so, what did it show? My US is what appears to me to be “textbook” papilloma - absent vascularity being the main thing.

I’m in San Antonio :)

• murfy

@txabby I felt lump and had mammo which showed suspicious mass. I was immediately subjected to thin-needle x-ray guided biopsy which removed calcium particles indicative of DCIS. A little later I received the US-guided biopsy which confirmed papilloma containing IDC. Mine must not have been 'textbook' because papilloma was always mentioned as a side-line (although the largest part of the mass) with focus on the IDC. I was the exception as most papillomas are benign.

• txabby

@murfy I am sorry you were the exception. Hearing that it's probably fine and then getting that turned around I imagine is shocking. Do you still have any treatments and or meds now?

I met with the surgeon today who said he has never heard of a radiologist saying they can't biopsy due to the location, and I said well I'm not making it up. He is now referring me to MRI and again a biopsy. He doesn't think it's a concern, said that since the bleeding has stopped it isn't a papilloma and didn't schedule a follow-up for a month. I think it's a bold move on his part, but I supposed positive for me? I have never read anywhere else that a papilloma will stop bleeding. Thankful I have an MRI coming.

• murfy

@txabby Interesting… MRI and, especially, biopsy will give you your answers. Does your 'papilloma' hurt? Have you had blood prolactin levels measured? I think I'd be concerned until I knew what was causing my symptoms! Good chance whatever it is is likely benign.

• txabby

@murfy no bloodwork done, no workup of the discharge. My obgyn thought they would agree to the excision without biopsy first, but the surgeon wasn't having it. I am concerned that if they do biopsy but not excision it that it won't get a full reading, as I've heard can happen about 10% of the time with papillomas. I don't have any pain, just the discharge. Like many people I'm giving myself things to worry about.

• murfy

@txabby I think the biopsy will show you what you're dealing with. IF papilloma, then probably needs to come out any way because of the 10%. If cyst, you have choices. You mentioned that your 'aberrancy' was small; can you share how small?

• txabby

@murfy .5x.5x.5cm