Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nodules on Chest CT

Options

From the other posts here, I can tell I'm not alone in the anxiety these can cause. I've been getting chest CTs every 4-6 months since finishing radiation in June 2022, and aside from some localized ick within the lung that was part of my radiation field, the lungs have looked good. However, the CT I had yesterday came back with 15-20 nodules identified across both lungs, the largest of which was about 1.5cm. All of these have popped up since my last CT in May. The radiologist's comment is "potentially metastatic". I don't love their opinion, and I'm trying to tell myself that lots and lots of nodules are benign. At the same time, I don't want to miss an opportunity to identify a recurrence early, if that's what this is. What follow up care would be most likely for this? Biopsy? PET scan? Wait and watch (that would be tough)?

Comments

• mswife
    mswife Member Posts: 66
    Options

So sorry to hear this!

it’s hard not to worry but important to remember that many nodules are benign, and even in the event of mets, there are many treatment options and many more in the pipe! I suspect given your one nodule is 1.5cm, someone will try and biopsy it to confirm one way or another.

wishing you all the good luck!

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 202
    Options

I had that and they did more scans to determine if it’s in other places. Oncologist said that lung biopsies are hard to do

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 685
    Options

@nns121317 Sorry your dealing with multiple nodules. This certainly sounds like a biopsy is warranted and typically nodules over 8mm is the best chance of getting enough tissue. As I'm sure you read depending on size and location will determine what means they use to perform the biopsy. They can certainly order other imaging as well to be sure all else is well.

Stay positive, nothing has been proven. Sending good vibes and strength.

• waves2stars
    waves2stars Member Posts: 109
    Options

Have you recently been sick or had any vaccines? If so, it could be an inflammatory reaction. They'd probably like to biopsy the larger one and do a PET. I had radiation to the right side of my mediastinum in December, and my recent Pet showed blushing nodes on both sides of the mediastinum, which is new for me. Could be cancer, but they aren't rushing anything because they're leaning towards inflammation from radiation or a recent illness. Waiting for plans or answers is tough! Wishing you the best!