Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

D

Options
fitbit
fitbit Member Posts: 4

Comments

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

My onc hasn't said anything to me about my 5 years coming up. I did say some stuff to her, primarily about how I've been even more anxious than usual abut this year's screening because of what feels like the weight of the timing.

I don't know about training, but I wonder whether they might just have had different and strong emotional reactions from people and it may be the doctor's way of leaving room for your response, and maybe also avoiding sending mixed messages about what an arbitrary time milestone actually means medically. It could also be that she was just having a day where her own ability to 'match' your emotional needs was less high than usual - something going on in her own life or with another patient that is really impacting her. Doctors are just human too.

If you have a great relationship with your doctor, I think you could let her know that you are celebrating and celebration from her feels supportive. And also remember that she may have just had to deliver very sad news to someone else she's had a multi-year professional relationship with, maybe.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    Options

Interesting how different my experience has been with my MO. I just saw my MO last week. I'm 3+ years from my initial dx and 2+ from recurrence. At the beginning of the appointment she is her usual self, it's all business, but once we have my lab results and she's done the physical and nothing is found, her mood shifts, her voice changes to a celebratory tone and says "we're moving on to seeing you in five months" in a songlike voice and a smile, lol. It puts a smile on my face only because I don't expect it. It's comforting. She even asked to give me a hug. It's a milestone for her as well and I appreciate that she sees it that way. I'm sorry that not all MO are like this.

When I was working (psychologist) I knew the importance of celebrating any milestones with my clients and how it affects their way of thinking about the situation at hand. I go in to my MO appointments with anxiety and apprehension and leave with a temporary sense of relief. I say temporary because the fear of a recurrence is/will ALWAYS be in the back of my head.

@fitbit cheers to your ten years!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    Options

I just passed the 12 year mark at stage IV. My oncologist is warm and friendly but nothing celebratory when I reach “milestones” , though stage IV is a different game. However, it never even crossed my mind to expect such a thing so I never thought about it until this post.

• smc123
    smc123 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Fitbit, You still see your MO? I was basically “dropped” by my MO after five years. I was triple negative so there were no additional medications to monitor me for and no need to continue the visits.