Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Review of Early Symptoms

Options
carleenmaurer
carleenmaurer Member Posts: 2
edited October 2023 in Waiting for Test Results

Hello, I am 46, Ashkenazi Jewish, with two nodules in left breast. One only .2 cm and the other 1cm. Blood tests came back with mild anemia and possible infection. Symptoms include pain on left side. Not where I feel the nodule, but my breast feels heavy almost like something is pulling it when lying down. My left underarm has a slight bump (not a cyst just swollen) and is tender and I have pain in left shoulder that radiates sometimes all the way to my left wrist and through my left back muscle. I am hoping these are all unrelated but am wondering if these symptoms are consistent with amyone else who was diagnosed. I feel like the nodules (if malignant) are too small to have spread to lymph nodes, right? Anyone who has experienced similiar symptoms I would love to hear from. Thanks!

Comments

• carleenmaurer
    carleenmaurer Member Posts: 2
    Options

I mention the Jewish part only because I know here is a higher risk of the BRCA gene with that genetic makeup.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 386
    Options

Hi Carleen! I am so sorry you're here but considering your symptoms I would go to your GP or gynecologist immediately and asked to be screened. Chances are high it's something totally unrelated to breast cancer and more an infection but breast cancer needs to be ruled as out as soon as possible. The reason is that it can, on occasion, spread very quickly even smaller lumps. You mentioned a blood test which is great but a mammogram and even ultrasound I would say is needed. Good luck!

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

carleenmaurer, how long have you had these symptoms? Every nodule/bump/weird feeling in the breast needs to have MRI especially since you are Ashkenazi Jewish and have a higher predisposition. Please don't procrastinate but request an MRI. It can be nothing serious, just to make sure if there is anything else, you catch it on time.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

Carleen, Welcome but I’m sorry about your concerns. What you’re experiencing could be symptoms of breast cancer but they also could be many other things. Additionally, many people experience no symptoms at all with breast cancer so making a doctors appointment should be your next step. There is simply no way to determine what might be going on based on symptoms alone. To determine genetic mutations, you would have to be tested. There are now over 30 genes that are tested. I am also an Ashkenazi Jew but all my testing has been negative. Even though we have greater chance of being BRCA 1, genetic mutations still only account for about 15-20% of all breast cancers. So call your doctor and take care !