Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Completed 8 years on Letrozole - trying to control hormones/hot flashes/weight gain

Options

It's been nearly 10 years since my diagnosis of Stage 2 Breast Cancer at age 48. After surgery & treatment, I was on letrozole for nearly 8 years. It was a challenge to tolerate it - joint pain, hair loss, exhaustion etc., but I did for almost 8 years hoping the benefits would outweigh the risks. Unfortunately my blood pressure went very high and my cholesterol also went through the roof. My oncologist changed my adjuvent to Tamoxifen which caused a huge weight gain in just 6 months. At that point, we made the decision to stop the therapy and I was transferred back to my family doctor. In the year since stopping, my hormones are all over the place - super hot flashy, high anxiety and continuing weight gain. Thankfully my blood pressure is back down, but the cholesterol is still higher than we would like it to be.

While I am so very grateful for the success of my treatment, I'm wondering if my body will ever return to normal. I exercise regularly, eat well, my thyroid is normal. Is this the new normal now? What are others experiencing? Have you found ways to cope? Thanks :-)