Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

leptomeningeal metastasis

so I have been diagnosed with them (lesions in posterior cerebral fossa on cranial nerves and in spine).

chemo changed for Enhertu trying to stave off a disease while the preparations for intratecal chemo via Omaya reservoir going.

Looking back in the hindsight there were symptoms of it in August, just not visible on scans..

will report the progress here in case it is useful

Comments

  • newgardener
    newgardener Member Posts: 97

    Anotherone, I am sorry to hear that you have leptomeningeal metastasis. My sister also had MBC, but HER2+ disease and it was devastating news to our family when she got LM. Fortunately I understand that there have been positive treatment developments since then. I wish you well. In French there's an expression "Bon Courage" which can be described as wishing a person some real strength in heart as they go through an ordeal or difficulty - I can never think of a good English equivalent.

  • anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 541

    yep - it is not over until it is over

    still working :)

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,691

    @anotherone, we're so sorry to hear that. Hang in there! There is plenty of support on the boards just waiting for you. In case you weren't aware, we have free weekly virtual meet-ups via Zoom. We have a list of them here, some specific for MBC members: https://www.breastcancer.org/community/virtual-meetups You are more than welcome to join us there too.

    We hope everything goes well with treatment. Please, come back to let us know how you're doing.

    The Mods

  • anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 541

    So there were 2 intratecal infusions. After first one I had headache on and off, that lead to me throwing up , pain in the neck muscles, worsening of the symptoms. Had to cancel some working days, felt like death - when I was going for second intratecal session I have thought that if I collapse nobody will continue with any treatment.After second intratecal session I do not have any headache and able to do housework etc - may live for longer. :)

    I have an impression that Enhertu stopped/greatly diminished progression but I had it delayed for 3 weeks due to suspected UTI and difficulties in communication between all stakeholders - I guess that is why I was feeling so bad. Resumed Enhertu today.

    Have MRI planned for tomorrow.

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,691
    edited January 25

    Hugs to you @anotherone 😊. Thank you for keeping us posted. 🙏 for your MRI tomorrow.

  • irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 422

    Rooting for a good mri tomorrow @anotherone In your pocket!

  • amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 98

    I hope mri was ok!

    Best wishes and thank you very much for sharing your experience

  • eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 273

    @anotherone

    Thinking of you and rooting for you with pom-poms of hope and love. Hope you have big pockets, as there will be a lot of us in there.

    Eleanora

  • anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 541

    Still alive :)

    MRI did not show any progression - the lesions are either smaller or the same. We know though that MRI does not see leptomeningeal metastasis in many cases - still it is nice to know that intracraneal have got unruly so that intratecal chemo is not stopped. Had a third session of it , not bad but not so good as after second one - have episodes of headache and tiredness ; nothing so bad as it was after first one. I have searched a bit side effect of intratecal chemo and it does not appear so innocuous as my doctor mentioned - one person even became paralysed due to drug induced arachnoiditis ( from about 100 or 150 enrolled- I do not remember), about 30% had headaches , then nausea, vomiting, a few percent had "minor" neurological symptoms etc. Apparently Ommaya reservoir patients survived about twice as long as lumbar puncture ones - I have planned the reservoir insertion in 2 weeks time, not sure yet what day so looking forwards to it - apart from giving me best chances of survival I would not have to go through not sedated lumbar puncture sessions which are not fun.

    Still losing hearing and deteriorating balance. Looking forward for it to stop as if it does not …

    Thank you for your support and good wishes

  • olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016

    Sending gentle hugs and comfort vibrations your way, anotherone. Hoping for the best outcome for you.

  • anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 226

    @anotherone did your Onco recommended radiation? What kind of symptoms are you having? Me, I can’t talk, I slur, and my right arm numbness. MRI rule out strokes. They did biopsy of my brain membrane because the lumbar biopsy is negative, the membrane is positive.

  • anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 541

    hi anx. There is no reason to do any radiations I assume as the oncologist can not see the disease he would want to irradiate if that makes sense…

    I guess I could have WBR in a hope to hit that possible insidious metastasis that causes deterioration in my VIIIth nerve… But it may not be cancer. It may be necrosis or smith else… Although I think it is most likely cancer… And if it is metotrexate intratecally and Enhertu are not enough to stop it .. I honestly do not know what is best to do. I have a second opinion appointment with a very possibly one of top doctors imo in the country in a week - see what he says. At the moment we can revert back to weekly metotrexate ( although I think it was the culprit in my ALT/AST going high for the first time in this cancer journey so weekly administration of it if it is truth is unsustainable ), change metotrexate for herceptine (although the MO which administers intratecal chemo is humming that it is experimental, yada, I did feel unwillingness in him to do the change) or change Enhertu for something else …

    My RO basically said he is not sure why my VIIIth nerve is going down and did not suggest anything. IF 2 other MOs do the same means to me "what do you want, even just being alive is an achievement, leave us in piece, we are not magicians".

    Still working, I think I do a very good job actually with what I do - although the new MO and 1 of the managers of one job stated that their advice is to contact my regulatory organ and indemnity to fill them on what is going on. For now my answer is firm - "I do not think it impacts on my work" as the regulator is as useful as chocolate teapot here I think and not trustworthy at all; I remember notifying them when I stopped working for unrelated health reason and they organised fitness to practice hearing for me ! It was extreme stress , money spent by defence organisation and me, then in 4 month the verdict "no case to answer" were issued, then I found that I did not have to notify them at all! Not intending to repeat the mistake. Still leaves sour taste in the mouth..

    Anyway if the hearing loss continues I would not be able to work - I guess I could organise quick ENT meeting and the audiologist w/hearing aids which may help for a while…

    The other issue is that after changing for local oncologist the things are sloooow which I find frustrating - I do not have that time! Not much private market in the province I guess compared to the capital and specialists working in both social and private system with a corresponding outcome…

    My partner wants me to continue living, my daughter who is 19 as well - I think me living for more at least under a year would be good for her from the pod of exams, school, life, money etc but hey ho - we shall see. Anyway the last 3 months I consider were lived because I was persistent and lucky and they were definitely worth living.

  • anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 541

    ah, have Ommaya port now and no headaches. Thank you, Olma

  • eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 273

    @anotherone

    Hope the second opinion offers some treatment options.

    Sending positive thoughts and warm hugs.

    Eleanora