Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MRI after benign breast biopsy

Options

I wanted to see if anyone else had this happen after their biopsy. My mammogram showed an asymmetry and distortion and the US showed an hypoechoic mass and another hypoechoic area with shadowing. I was thrilled when they said the biopsy showed benign fibrous changes. The radiologist wants me to have an MRI in 4 weeks to make sure that the biopsy was correct. Has anyone had this done and found that the biopsy was not accurate? Thank you! I was thrown off when I was told to have this done. Thank you!!

Comments

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 104
    Options

It's always important to follow up on breast changes. I had an MRI that showed 'something' 2 months after a Mammogram which was clear. They biopsied it and it came back benign. The radiologist was still concerned and she wanted me back in 6 months to see if it had grown at all. It did. They biopsied again. This time they found cancer. The original tumor was so small that they think due to its difficult location, they didn't get a good sample.

Now…this was me and this is not you! Don't freak out! It may very well be benign now and benign after an MRI in 4 weeks. However, it is really important to follow up on these things as if it does turn out to be BC, you really want to catch it early.

Take a breath and enjoy your holidays. Then keep following the advice of the radiologist.

Take care.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

@shellhereforhelp - Hello and welcome!

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. In some cases, an MRI may be recommended as an additional precaution or for further evaluation. Related to this, we thought you'd be interested in this article from our main site: Breast MRI Explained.

Good luck, and please come back to let us know how you're doing. Your questions and thoughts are valued, and we're here for you.

The Mods

• shellhereforhelp
    Options

Mandy23,

Thank you for the kind message! I hope you are doing well!