Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Possible Recurrence - Can I do it alone... again?

Options

Stage 1 triple negative in 2012. Treated with surgery, chemo and radiation. I really thought I was out of the woods. I had absolutely no concerns until I found a couple of hard lymph nodes just above the same breast a couple of days ago. I sent an email to my old oncologist to see if it was anything I should be concerned about. I had lymphoma before bc, but that was over 25 years ago. She's more concerned about a breast cancer recurrence and scheduled a diagnostic mammo, ultrasound and needle biopsy for Tuesday. Now I'm terrified. I know nothing yet and I'm getting ahead of myself, but I can't stop my brain. Any advice on how to stop the obsession is appreciated!

I am single. I live alone. I have no one to reach out to for support. I have family, but we are not close. I've been through two cancers already. I just don't know that I have it in me to go through all of the testing and treatments by myself again. I found these discussion boards to be helpful the last time around. Is there anyone else on this journey alone?

Comments

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 186
    Options

Hi @lglovespeaches. Welcome here!! I really hope it’s not a recurrence. How can you not worry? I’m not sure how to stop a brain from obsessing … besides to try to escape in sleep and sometimes that helps me temporarily. Sorry for not having any super helpful advice on that. You already know to “take it one day at a time” and you know the process ... I have a feeling you will find others who are also looking for support. I’ve connected with a few women that actually live far away but they ended up providing exactly the support I needed. Hopefully someday I can meet them in person. Everyone here is great and so supportive … if this turns out to be anything … we will be here for you!

• lglovespeaches
    lglovespeaches Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you! I appreciate your reaching out.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    Options

Hi @lglovespeaches, and welcome back to Breastcancer.org.

We are so very sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're really glad you decided to come back and reach out for support — we're all here for you!

We, too, are sending good thoughts your way that what you're experiencing is not a recurrence or metastasis. Try to stay calm and once you have more information, you'll feel better. In the meantime, keep yourself busy with a good book or movie, going for long walks or spending time with friends.

And, know that you are NOT alone — you've got our amazing community to support you through whatever challenges you might face. Please keep coming back, sharing, and getting support.

Sending hugs to you,

—The Mods

• perida
    perida Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi @lglovespeaches I am new here. I understand the feeling of being single and alone. I hope you will find support and encouragement in this community.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

I’m going to be doing cancer treatment again for the third time not quite in your circumstance I do have my daughter and son-in-law 20 minutes away from me but I don’t want to bother them unless it’s absolutely necessary she’s a teacher he’s a nurse so unless I can’t get out of the house I don’t bother them for help. I have Instacart for groceries which is an enormous help because they’ll bring it in so I just sit here and look out the window. At least it’s not snowing in Florida but I have a cat and dog and they require attention and I guess that’s what pretty much keeps me going is them Plus everyone here on BCO is so helpful I can do this again.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    Options

Oh, @spookiesmom , we're so sorry you need to go through this again 😣 We're here for you in any way we can be. You've got this 🤗