Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Who has had both implants and DIEP?

Options
nns121317
nns121317 Member Posts: 110
edited November 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

I had a direct to implant BMX with 535cc silicone implants in October 2021, followed by radiation on my left side in June 2022. I had fat grafting in June 2023 to try and break up/loosen the radiated tissue, with limited success.

My chest feels heavy, cold, and tight, especially on my radiated side. My boobs look fantastic, but I'm uncomfortable 24/7. My back and neck hurt, and I'm not convinced my body likes the implants.

My surgeon is offering the DIEP, but it sounds a little intense. I like the idea of having my own natural tissues, and I certainly have the tummy pouch to contribute. Part of my concern is that I developed an infection after fat grafting and was hospitalized for several days, and I'd hate to have the same thing happen again. I also worry about looking even more like Frankenstein's monster with scarring and such.

Any insights?

Comments

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    Options

I didn’t have implants (had immediate DIEP recon when I had BMX) but if you search for the thread “2018 DIEP Surgery” which helped me a lot when I had my surgery, you’ll see a lot of women on there had implants first so maybe you’ll get some relevant info.

Yes, the abdominal scar is big and my recovery took a while but very pleased with outcome