originally dx stage 0 left breast 10 years ago, lumpectomy and radiation. 2years ago dx stage IV with Mets to liver. Chemo, Perjeta, Herceptin treatments have stabilized liver but cancer has become active in same breast and surgeon suggests mastectomy. Onc ordered mri to check if still stable in liver beforehand. My decision. I’m a fairly healthy 78 years old. Any advice?
Bev, have you had a biopsy of the new breast tumor to confirm the characteristics are the same as the mbc diagnosis?
This article might be helpful:
We hope this helps and we're here to support you no matter your decision!
Anyone else have experience/advice?
Ohionana, having a mastectomy is a way to reduce your tumor load if the tumor in your breast is becoming active or increasing in size. Having a biopsy is also a good idea , like the moderator suggested. Let us know what you decide to do !
I had the mastectomy 1/23 and doing pretty good. Just uncomfortable. Get results 1/31.