Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mastectomy after dx with liver Mets stage IV

Options

Comments

• ohionana1605
    ohionana1605 Member Posts: 67
    Options

originally dx stage 0 left breast 10 years ago, lumpectomy and radiation. 2years ago dx stage IV with Mets to liver. Chemo, Perjeta, Herceptin treatments have stabilized liver but cancer has become active in same breast and surgeon suggests mastectomy. Onc ordered mri to check if still stable in liver beforehand. My decision. I’m a fairly healthy 78 years old. Any advice?
    Thanks. Bev

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    Options

Hi @ohionana1605!

Bev, have you had a biopsy of the new breast tumor to confirm the characteristics are the same as the mbc diagnosis?

This article might be helpful:

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20100607b

We hope this helps and we're here to support you no matter your decision!

Anyone else have experience/advice?

—The Mods

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 762
    Options

Ohionana, having a mastectomy is a way to reduce your tumor load if the tumor in your breast is becoming active or increasing in size. Having a biopsy is also a good idea , like the moderator suggested. Let us know what you decide to do !

• ohionana1605
    Options

I had the mastectomy 1/23 and doing pretty good. Just uncomfortable. Get results 1/31.

• ohionana1605
    Options

I had drain in 3 weeks. Then they wrapped me up like a mummy which I wore 2 weeks. When I looked in mirror I was very puffy and called the surgeon who had me come in and PA said I needed to be drained there but she couldn't get in so they had me come back next day for surgeon who drained about 100cc and I was again wrapped up. A week later I was still puffy so went back and got 125cc and wrapped up again. Dr. said this happens sometimes. I haven't taken wrap off yet but will tomorrow to shower. I had a lot of questions for her as she's not my regular MO. I asked about tumor markers and she said the Cleveland Clinic doesn't do those because ASCO says they aren't reliable. She gave me an 18 page report from ASCO and Journal of Clinical Oncology, "American Cancer Society/American society of Clinical Oncology Breast Cancer survivorship Care Guidline." Needless to say, it's pretty technical so not sure what I got out of it.

Any comments? Thanks.

Bev

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,061
    Options

Ohioana, you are about two months out from surgery. How are you feeling? Are you able to do you regular daily activities? I hope the puffiness you’ve experienced is starting to subside. Interesting that CC doesn’t do tumor markers, but on this forum there seem to be women who have them done and others who don’t. How do you like your doctors?