Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Update—6 years post diagnosis

Options

Hi Friends:

I thought I’d post a update on myself 6 1/2 years after my stage 1, grade 1 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma diagnosis. I chose to only have surgery. I did not go on hormone blocking drugs. I chose not to have radiation. I’m doing very well!

What was my treatment plan post cancer? I try to eat as plant based as I can. I stay active. Try to distress as much as possible and treasure each day of life.

I continue to be followed by my medical oncologist (even tho I’m not on any meds). My screening breast ultrasounds, mammogram, and periodic MRI are done every 6 months. I may start going to yearly screenings.

I'm being followed by a naturopathic doctor as well for my bioidentical hormone treatment. This was started awhile ago (about 3 months ago). This doctor cleared my hormone treatment plan through my medical oncologist. I currently use low dose bioidentical estrodiol patch and oral bioidentical progesterone. I had also been on bioidentical dhea but have stopped taking that. Bioidentical testosterone will probably be added in the future. We are still working on getting my hormone levels to where they should be. But this has helped me. Progesterone really helps with sleep. It’s wonderful! I’m feeling almost back to my pre menopausal self!

I just wanted to share that I am doing very well. For those of you here who have supported me in the past…thank you for your support! I’m so thankful for this forum. I will continue to hang out at this forum as I have time. I’m blessed to also support women in my local area coordinating mobile mammography clinics.

I’d love to hear how those of you from 2017 bc dx are doing.

Merry Christmas. Sending hugs to you all! Blessings.

Comments

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

If you were dx around 2017-2018 please let me know how your doing. I’d love to hear from you all!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Dear @jons_girl, thank you so much for sharing your positive update with us. It's truly inspiring! And we are pleased to hear that our forums have been helpful and supportive for you.

Sending our best wishes for continued good health to you!

The Mods

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

Hi there! I think I remember you from years back. So glad you are doing well! I am too. I mostly read here now and try not to complain too much about mundane stuff. My last mammo was clear, I am now on annual screening. I did skip an MRI this past year and have not gone back to the SO (surgical oncologist). Guess I released myself.

I still see the MO every 6 months. I told him I put my stats in the CTS5 calculator tool and came up with 12.4% which is high risk of late reoccurrence, so I am continuing the anastrozole. https://cts5-calculator.com/ Plan is to stop at 7 years. I have a DEXA scan next month, if my bones aren't holding up, that could change my mind. Or, if insurance isn't going to approve any more Prolia shots, then what's the use? I also just got denied having a low dose lung CT screening this year. I have multiple nodules, but they are small and stable. I sometime get pulling and some pain in both breasts unless I constantly wear a bra.

Was nice to hear from you. I am doing well, other than the insurance company running my life and having a little pain now and then if I go braless for too long. 😛

• joey01
    joey01 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2023
    Options

So happy to hear your story, I also had stage 1 and had lumpectomy only, it is very encouraging to hear you are still clear after 6 1/2 years. You always wonder if you've made the right choice. I also alternate every six months with mammogram and ultrasound. I try to eat as healthy as possible but do need to up my exercise regimen! My oncotype score was 7.

• jons_girl
    Options

Hi Joey01!

I am SOOOO sorry that I have not replied until now! =( Sounds like you have the same dx maybe as I had. I am not sure what my oncoscore was because my surgeon said it wouldn't be anything to worry about (she had been practicing for a long time so knew this). I am glad my post encouraged you. Sounds like your treatment is the same as mine with the scans every 6 mo. I am thinking about changing that now to yearly. But I am not sure I am going to do that.

I eat quite healthy too. I need to exercise more regularly. But I do alot of work on our farm during the good weather months so I do stay somewhat active. I need to start running or walking tho!

I hope your recovery continues to go well! Have a wonderful weekend!

• jons_girl
    Options

Hello ctmbsikia:

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! I am glad all is going well for your recovery. I am glad my post was encouraging for you. I hope all continues to go well for you! Have a wonderful weekend!

• jons_girl
    Options

Thank you moderators for your comments. I appreciate your support.