Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

1 year Scan after almost year on letrozole

Options

There may have been a better place to post this. I have my 1 year Dx mammogram scan next Monday. I had Dx scan of the R breast at 6 months and this one will be both breasts. I am feeling anxious on and off since I noticed this appointment is coming up. I have been taking my letrozole daily except when they didn't let me while I was in the hospital in November for 4 days. I should be okay, but my brain is playing games with me that I didn't take it for those days. In any case, it may be perfectly normal to have these anxious thoughts about the first scan of both of the girls. I thought it might be helpful to know how other's first year scans went.

Comments

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

The first year's scans are most likely fine. That's what I was told when I was in my first year. Good luck and don't let your mind go to dark places.

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    edited January 10
    Options

My first year scan was fine, although I was pretty nervous. I think it’s pretty normal - how could it not be? The last time you got a mammogram your world was turned upside down, and your brain doesn’t yet have a less distressing memory to overwrite that one. For what it’s worth, I was told ahead of time that it was highly likely they’d come back in after the first round of pictures to get additional views, not because they’d seen anything suspicious but because there had (obviously!) been a lot of big changes since the previous year and they wanted to make sure they had really good views of everything. That is indeed what happened, but everything turned out fine. Good luck, and plan something special to celebrate afterwards! It helps!

Edited to add that I was recently told it’s OK to take breaks from the hormone therapy, up to 2-3 weeks at a time. Would have been nice to know that before I started the pills five years ago - oh well. Anyway, I don’t think you have to worry that missing 4 days is going to cause a recurrence.