Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Poll: Experiencing sex and intimacy issues after a diagnosis?

Options

Sex and intimacy can be challenging and long-standing after a breast cancer diagnosis for a variety of reasons — both physical and emotional.

Please select the most significant issue you’ve experienced, and share as many details you would like in the topic below.

Poll: Experiencing sex and intimacy issues after a diagnosis? 23 votes

Mood changes or feelings of sadness, depression, or anxiety
8%
hammy1313am_strong2024 2 votes
Soreness, sensitivity, and/or pain in your body
0%
Lack of energy
8%
bookishmommar_abq 2 votes
Vaginal changes like dryness
21%
newnormmonarchandthemilkweedalliegatormargesimpsonflorals 5 votes
Nausea or other gastrointestinal symptoms
0%
Loss of sexual interest or desire
30%
liseymeisterewhatjusthappenedgoldensrbestorangeflowermswifegr8teful38 7 votes
Guilt, shame, and/or self-consciousness
4%
clevno 1 vote
Difficulty talking openly about sexual health issues with partner or potential partner
8%
maryktjlubenko 2 votes
Concerns around perception by partner or potential partner
17%
murfyeverythingwillbefinedani_pdm8521 4 votes
Other (please elaborate in the thread below)
0%

Comments

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 94
    edited January 15
    Options

My libido and zest for life in general declined after going through breast cancer. I'm single, and I don't know how or when to tell a potential partner that I've had a double mastectomy. It puts me off dating at all.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

Thank you for weighing in, @orangeflower! You might find these links helpful:

We hope this helps!

We look forward to others sharing their experiences as well.

—The Mods

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    Options

Absolutely zero sex drive after 8 years on Tamoxifen. Married and happy, we push through and hubby is a whiz at still getting the job done. :)

• moderators
    Options

@lisey so maddening, these hormonal drugs. We're just happy to hear that you and your husband have found ways to make things work!

• moderators
    Options

Bumping this topic

• moderators
    Options

Join us for our next webinar!

Let's Talk About Sex and Breast Cancer:
    Desire, Comfort, and Body Image

Tuesday, February 27, 2024
    4:30 PM ET

Many people struggle with intimacy during and after breast cancer treatment, but not everyone knows what to expect or how to manage these issues. Let's change that by talking openly about sexual health.

Submit your questions for the experts when you register for our upcoming webinar. Everyone who signs up will receive a recording of the event.

Register here.

Join us to learn all about sex and breast cancer as we discuss decreased desire, vaginal dryness and irritation, pain during sex, decreased breast sensation, and fatigue. We'll have a candid conversation about the emotional challenges and the impact on relationships with partners and with ourselves.

The life changes that go along with a cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming. We're here to empower you with the information you need to advocate for yourself. We hope to see you on February 27.

• meistere
    meistere Member Posts: 5
    edited January 26
    Options

I don’t even know who’s “area of expertise” it should be to deal with these issues. Oncologists are generally trying to beat cancer, not improve your sex life. Plus they’re also mostly involved in CYA (Cover-Your-A$$) so it’s easier to tell you the risks of each treatment or just say they don’t recommend it instead of helping you find a solution. Gynecologists are ok but aren’t well-versed in cancer nuances. There are lots of pharmaceuticals available but I’ve had to find every single one of them on my own and then ask a doctor about them. For example: testosterone supplementation, the Estring, Vyleesi. I’d love to hear you speak to some of these and let us know what’s out there as possible options.

• moderators
    Options

Those are fantastic suggestions, @meistere, thank you!