Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Suspicious tumor

Options

I have been getting a contrast enhancement mammogram (CEM) every year since my diagnosis in 2013. I had one today and the radiologist saw a suspicious tumor so she did an ultrasound. Then told me I need to get a biopsy. When I asked if the cancer is back, she just kept repeating the tumor is suspicious and I need to go for a biopsy. The not knowing is what I cannot stand. I am petrified. I feel like I am going to throw up and want to crawl into a hole. I hear CEM are more sensitive and is more effective in detecting cancer. If it shows up on CEM, does it mean it's definitely cancer? I need something to hold on to. Please help me. If you pray, please pray for me. Someone please help me. Please. I am so desperate.

Comments

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 186
    Options

I’m sorry for your new worry @roareus! The not knowing is so hard. I don’t really think there is any imaging that can tell for sure that a “suspicious mass” is cancer, that only a biopsy can give us that answer. There is always some hope that it’s benign!!

• roareus
    roareus Member Posts: 68
    Options

Thank you @needs.a.nap . My bopsy is scheduled for Monday, 1/22. I am up at 4am worrying. This will be what happens until I get my biopsy results back. It's awful.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 186
    Options

@roareus … nights are the worst for some reason!! I could keep busy during the day while waiting for my biopsy and push my worries aside but not at night. Of course that’s when I’d go online and try to research stuff, so I know I was just fueling anxiety, doing what everyone cautions us not to do (stay away from Dr. Google they say, but I couldn’t help myself). But this isn’t new to you, so you don’t even need to research to understand the possibilities. I’m sorry you’re going to have sleepless nights!

I kept pestering the breast care center (they were all awesome and so patient!) and was able to get my biopsy scheduled a little sooner … if you have flexibility in your schedule, you could try asking to be on a cancellation list and maybe they can get you in sooner?

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    Options

The not knowing was, and continues to be, the most excruciating part of my cancer experience. You’re definitely not alone in that, if it helps at all.

I don’t know anything about contrast mammograms, but I do know that a biopsy doesn’t always mean they think it’s cancer. Sometimes the suspicion is extremely low, less than 10%! But they like to be certain, so if there’s any question at all that it’s not benign, they’ll do a biopsy. Last year I had two, six months apart, even though they were fairly certain they were looking at scar tissue. They just needed to be certain. Even so, I lost a lot of sleep.

I just prayed for you.

• nw_flygirl
    nw_flygirl Member Posts: 1
    edited January 13
    Options

@roareus …. I am right there along with you with the worrying. I had my BC back in 2012 and completed 9 years of hormone therapy about 2 yrs ago. The past 2 years have been glorious feeling normal again.

This past Nov I started having aches in my back that radiated around my torso. it is a dull/burning/ache that has settled in one spot in my mid back, next to spine. Pain is a strong word and I don't need any Advil, etc., but its there and reminds me something is wrong and stokes fear. (I did move my recliner downstairs on my own and may have strained my back, but didn't feel it happen).

Because my Oncologist told me when he released me, that if I ever felt I needed to come back, had concerns, etc., to come back. I made an appointment to see him 1/25. In the mean time, I am trying to not freak out while having to wait, too.

Wanted to let you, though my situation isn't the same, I am dealing with anxiety, too. I pray to not wake up in the middle of the night, because I know it will be a struggle to get back to sleep.

You are in my prayers and I pray your results are good ones.

• roareus
    Options

@purplecatThank you for your note. I needed that. This will be my second biopsy in six months as well. I am concerned because it is near the area as where the initial tumor was ten years ago. I am trying to prepare myself for the worst new while living my best life. I can't believe I may put husband through this again. I can't believe it's been ten years and it may be back. My twins are turning 13 in February and will impact them greatly. My 85 year old mother just lost my dad two years ago, lost my sister to leukemia 27 years ago... I lost my job in March. I was hoping 2024 would be better. Now I find myself trying to prepare myself for a double mastectomy and how I will take care of my family and keep my per diem job. Sorry for the long post and thank you for listening to me. If you pray, please pray for me.

• roareus
    edited January 13
    Options

@nw_flygirl The waiting and anxiety is the worst! I hope and pray you just pulled a muscle or something. I will pray for you. Hang in there.