Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mammogram if metastatic

Options

Do you gals with metastatic disease still have annual mammograms? I can't understand why they would be necessary with ct scans every 3 to 6 months. Is the Dr just drumming up business for the hospital? What does your MO say? I haven't had one since 2017 when I thought I was all clear and 2 months later found cancer in my humerus.

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,098
    Options

My PCP thinks I still need them, as I still have 1 breast. But I have not went and got one in a couple of years-LOL. I feel that the Chest CT would catch anything in the breast (I have 1 breast now=mastectomy of the left one). I need to ask my MO's opinion. Maybe I will ask him next time I go to him.

Following what others will post.

• AJ
    AJ Member Posts: 210
    Options

my MO said no more mammograms

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 539
    Options

My MO told me, "I'll see anything suspicious on the CT scan, no need for further mammograms". I still have one breast, too.

Of course I still get the automated yearly reminders to Get Your Mammogram Scheduled, Because We Want To Catch Breast Cancer Early! I just shake my head and delete the message.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

I haven’t had a mammogram since I was diagnosed with mbc over 13 years ago. I get ct and bone scans two to three times a year.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,093
    Options

Gailmary - no mammogram since I started treatment. My MO said two things - one was my PET-CT scans should detect any changes - the other was that the only reason to run additional tests would be if we were looking to change treatments. Since my treatment was clearly working, no additional scan required. My PCP at the time still recommended mammogram. Thanks, but no thanks.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 299
    Options

I saw my MO on 1/17 and because of Gailmary's comment here on 1/16, I asked the question. I have only had a lumpectomy but she still said that anything important would be picked up on my 6 month CT scans, so no more painful mammogram 🎉!

I swear some of those techs hit the floor pedal like they've just heard the starting gun at NASCAR.

Thanks Gailmary.

Eleanora

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,022
    Options

I still have both breasts and I’ve been getting mammograms since my third year of treatment. The MO says it is good to keep a closer eye on what’s happening in the breasts and that HER2+ BC is known to migrate to the other breast. The first mammography clinic recommended going every 2 years but since that time my more recent providers have said once a year. I get PET-CT scans but they still say a mammo plus ultra sound gives a different view that is helpful. I am in favor of doing it because if anything new shows up I would advocate for surgery for myself.

Also, it’s a relief for them to tell me what a good job the drugs alone have done on the breast tumor. the last radiologist said he had a hard time finding the site of the tumor, since no marker was put in at my original biopsy.