Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Just got Pathology report, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, looking for others with similar diagnosis

Options

Hello friends,

I just found out earlier today via a Pathology report that my biopsy came back as Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

My tumour is approx 4cm wide, and it seems like I also have abnormal axillary lymph node.

These are my results and I am trying to understand them before I go in and speak with the Surgeon on Friday:

1. BREAST: Breast, Right 7 o'clock position Biopsy, Right breast US guided 14 G core biopsy 7 ocl 1 fn

DIAGNOSIS
Breast, right (7 o'clock 1FN), 14G ultrasound guided core biopsy:
- Invasive ductal carcinoma
- Please see comment

COMMENT
Core biopsy sections show infiltration by carcinoma, Nottingham histologic grade III/III in this limited sample, with focal necrosis. An in situ component is not identified.

Hormone receptors and HER2 will be reported in an addendum.

CLINICAL HISTORY
Order Comments: A - Abnormally enlarged right axillary lymph node.
1 - Large 4 cm irregular mass in the 7 o'clock position.

So I'm left wondering:

Did anyone have a similar pathology report? What should I expect next?

Comments

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

Hi there @sistermoon

I'm an invasive ductal carcinoma, but I also have mucinous features in mine. I had left axilla nodes that were positive for scant carcinoma and abundant necrosis.

I had neo-adjuvant chemo, (before surgery). I did 8 rounds of dose-dense AC. Adrimiacyn-Cytoxin. Then I had 12 rounds of Taxol. I then had surgery, then radiation. I'm going on year 3 now after diagnosis and I have no evidence of disease at present.

I wish that I had had surgery before my chemo, as due to the mucinous features, it did not shrink my tumor. Just my journey:-)

• sistermoon
    sistermoon Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi @kotchaj , thanks for the quick response. I was wondering if surgery first might be good for what seems like an aggressive growing tumour (it grew 3x the size in a matter of a few months).

At this point, I want it OUT of me, whatever it takes. I seemingly haven't gotten the results of the fine needle aspiration of the lymph node yet, they did take samples, but I don't see anywhere on the pathology report about the lymph nodes yet, but they have been updated on the portal. I'm confused about it so it will have to be something I ask the surgeon about when I meet him on Friday.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 388
    Options

You need to know if you have any receptors for estrogen, progesterone, or HER2+. That'll determine your treatment path. More than likely either way though you'll be looking at chemo before surgery since it's borderline grade 3 and it's in a lymph node they believe. I had a grade 3, hormone positive (both estrogen and progesterone) HER2- tumor. Since my nodes looked clear they did surgery first with me but I did go through chemo afterwards. Not fun but I did okay with it and recovered completely. I also want to add that I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Breast cancer sucks but there is some comfort in knowing it's incredibly common which means there is plenty of treatment available. There's also a wonderful group of women within this shitty club so ask any questions you need. We got you.

• sistermoon
    Options

Hi @kaynotrealname, thanks for messaging back so quickly. Good to know about chemo first / lymph node. I understand that the receptors for estrogen, progesterone or HER2+ are very important to know and that it affects the treatment path. I assume I will be getting that information in the days ahead. It will be interesting to see what the surgeon/oncologist suggests.

I am incredibly relieved to hear you've recovered completely. I know that having IDC is very common so I'm holding onto the hope that because of that, there are so many treatment plans available. I can already tell the women in this shitty f*ckin club are amazingly supportive, as evidenced by two incredibly quick and informative responses to my recent post.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 889
    Options

Hi @sistermoon , I'm sorry you ended up with IDC but that is not surprising given the BIRADS 5 imaging. My IDC tumor was 3.2 cm, ER+/PR+/HER- and I had one positive lymph node. Kaynotrealname makes a good point about how receptors are very important in determining how you proceed. My treatment was lumpectomy, sentinel lymph node biopsy, whole breast and nodal radiation, but no chemo (although it would have been recommended if I were your age.) There are many variations in treatment depending on your unique situation and the surgery you have. Your surgeon should have additional information for you.

Whatever your stage or treatment there are others here in a similar situation who will offer support and helpful advice. It takes time to figure out your exact treatment plan (mine changed a bit after surgery) but once it is in place things do get better.

• sistermoon
    Options

Hi @maggie15 thanks so much for the response. At this point I just want answers and I am open to any treatment they suggest for me. I think the waiting is the hardest, and I am fortunate enough to have been diagnosed fairly quickly. I will update everyone once I have more info, in the meantime, open to any and all advice, support, info, venting, anything!

• izzyc123
    izzyc123 Member Posts: 27
    Options

@sistermoon I was diagnosed with IDC in September. My primary wasn't picked up by mammogram because it was hiding in dense breast tissue. Had I not had a random itch in my armpit and noticed the enlarged lymph node, I'd still be sitting here thinking I was fine, so I will be the odd one who is forever grateful for a positive lymph node.

I have my 6th, and last planned round of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin/Perjeta tomorrow. I'm ER/PR negative and HER2 positive which kind of sucks because we don't really know what is feeding (or hopefully fed because I have faith that the chemo/etc knocked them on their butts!) my tumor and lymph node. My chemo is neoadjuvant like @kotchaj. I meet with the plastic surgeon on Monday and the breast surgeon on Tuesday (my breast surgeon is the same one who placed my port. I really like him and had zero pain from the port. Needed only an ice pack afterward.). I know I will be having a double mastectomy (he gave me the option of a lumpectomy but agrees with me on my preference for a BMX) but don't know yet what reconstruction will look like (DIEP flap or implants). After that, I'm looking at radiation (rads) to the axilla. My surgeon doesn't seem to feel I'll need it to the breast. Fingers crossed.

I'd guess you'll have chemo first, too. It's not fun, but it's all about perspective. The things I've faced have largely been annoyances. Speak up in the groups here, read a lot. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself to your doctors. Also, make sure you are comfortable with your doctors. The treatment guidelines come from the NCCN (National Comprehensive Cancer Network) and most docs won't deviate much from them. The question would be whether they participate/are active in trials if that is something you may be interested in. Because most follow the NCCN guidelines, don't feel like you have to stay with the first one you start with or that you can't interview several to begin with. I met with two as I was beginning my journey, both very highly regarded in the field in my geographical area. I was much more comfortable with one over the other. Both struck me as very intelligent and had the exact same plan so I went with the one who I felt more at ease with and whose office made me feel more comfortable/relaxed. After all, you're going to be seeing their office staff and them A LOT.

• kyrexvstuesday
    kyrexvstuesday Member Posts: 7
    Options

A week ago today was my Dx. The Nurse Navigator at the Women's Breast Center has been kicking butt and taking names. She called on Friday evening at 6pm and told me to clear my calendar for January 30, that I'd be getting calls to schedule on Monday. Lo and behold, I saw both my oncologist and surgeon yesterday. We were there from 11:30am to almost 5:30pm. I was Dx'd IDC Grade 3, found out it was triple negative yesterday. There was a WHOLE LOT OF INFORMATION thrown at me yesterday. My lymph nodes are also negative RIGHT NOW. My neoadjuvant Taxol/Carbo/Keytruda starts three weeks from today and there's another set of AC/Keytruda, all told, I'll have five months of chemo. 4-6 weeks after that I'll have my surgery (still up in the air at the moment but I'm leaning heavily towards a double mastectomy for lots of reasons). I told my bestie that I finally, at 53, understand what 'one day at a time' means. They called to schedule my port placement (I've been calling it an 'installation' so I sound more Bionic Woman) for a week from today. My CT Scan is Friday and my genetic interview (pre blood draw) is tomorrow. Still waiting on MRI and bone density scan. It's all moving so very fast right now.

But the whole point of my narrative is to get you a Nurse Navigator. Whoever was the nurse who held your hand in your biopsy is who they assign in my part of the world (DFW, TX) Find that nurse who will kick ass and take names for you.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,007
    Options

Welcome, @kyrexvstuesday. We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we hope this community can be a source of support for you in the coming weeks, months, and beyond. We know this isn't easy, but you're not alone.

Also, we want to let you know we offer very supportive, moderated Virtual Community Meetups. There are a number of different groups and times, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups.

We’re here for you,

The Mods