Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Switching AI's - side effects

Options

53yo, chemically induced menopause (monthly Zolodex shots); 1st diagnosis 1A 2010 on Tamoxifen for 5 years; 2nd diagnosis 1A other breast 2020 - 3 years on Arimidex (with Zolodex to put into meno), just switched to Aromasin (3 months ago).

I switched because of fatigue and stiffness/joint issues - but I think now that I'm on Aromasin/exemestane - I think I'm going to ask my MO to switch back. I also stopped taking 75 mg of Effexor also (that I was on since the first diagnosis for hot flashes and mood). Granted, I've been under more stress in the last 6 mos. (elderly sick parents, teenagers)

My "newer" symptoms on Aromasin: GI symptoms - burping, nausea, loose stools, "dry" scratchy throat. My GP is ordering various tests. My mood seems to be worse - more crying spells/sadness and anxiety/worry - but that may be due to addl life stressors and being off Effexor. Have always had a sensitive belly. My fatigue/energy levels about the same, which is frustrating. Sex drive very low but that was the same on the other AI.

I'm pretty good about walking, yoga - staying connected with friends/loved ones. My diet is good mostly - I've added back in animal protein (was experimenting with vegetarian diet). No longer drink alcohol just on special occasions. I will say water/hydration and exercise really helpful for stiffness and joint pain.

I'm feeling sad about navigating these issues and find my other friends don't seem to understand my limited bandwidth/low energy. My husband is supportive though he is very healthy. I feel like I'm aging fast! Hoping to find some support in all this. I'm grateful but struggling lately with this switch.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    Options

@michelea - Welcome to the Breastcancer.org community. We're so sorry that you're dealing with so much, but glad you found us! We thought you might find these threads on our boards particularly helpful: Life on aromasin, and Bottle o Tamoxifen. These discussions haven't been active in a while, but you can post and bump them to find insights and support from others going through similar experiences.

Hope this helps. Thank you for joining us, and we look forward to hearing more from you soon.

The Mods