Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Lung Nodules & They are Growing?!

Options

So I have been on a watch since November 2022 due to lung nodules…really just one of several they worried about. Had a clean biopsy on the one in July 2023. However, I had to have a 6 month CT repeat. Received the report and many new nodules since June and some have grown since June. However, the radiology did not give an impression like others have such as do a repeat or they had characteristics of both benign and malignant so get with doctor. I’ve never heard of the terminology he used on this. Any ideas from you ladies on what this means? My doctor may not be able to see me until another week or so to go over results.

1/19/2024 RESULTS

Visualized neck: Within normal limits. Lungs: Scattered pulmonary nodules are present in both lungs with index nodules outlined below:

3 mm juxtapleural pulmonary nodule in the anterior right upper lobe (image 56), newly appreciated from the previous exam.

6 x 5 mm pulmonary nodule in the right upper lobe (image 77), new from the previous exam.

4 x 4 mm nodule in the right upper lobe (image 114), previously measured 3 mm

3 mm pulmonary nodule in the right middle lobe (image 147), previously measured 2 mm.

8 mm groundglass nodule in the right lower lobe (image 177), new from the previous exam.

5 x 4 mm juxtapleural pulmonary nodule in the medial right lower lobe (image 217), new from the previous exam.

3 mm pulmonary nodule in the left upper lobe (image 42), previously measure 1 mm.

6 mm pulmonary nodule in the left upper lobe (image 67), previously measured 4 mm.

3 mm adjacent pulmonary nodule (image 72), new from the previous exam.

15 x 8 mm pulmonary nodule in the anterior left lower lobe (image 175), previously measured 16 mm.

16 x 6 mm juxtapleural discoid interstitial opacity in the superior segment left lower lobe (image 128), new from the previous exam.

Airway: The trachea and central bronchial tree appear normal.

Pleura: There is no pleural effusion. There is no pneumothorax

IMPRESSION:

1. Scattered soft tissue pulmonary nodules in both lungs slightly increased in size and number from the previous exam.

2. Unchanged 11 mm soft tissue nodule in the anterior superior mediastinum.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    edited January 20
    Options

Hi bookworm14, It’s good to hear that your biopsy was benign. @cookie54 might be able to evaluate this report better than I can. The radiologist probably did not interpret what he saw or make recommendations since he is leaving that to your pulmonologist who is the expert as far as lung disease goes.

There seems to be some medical judgement that goes into CT interpretation. My nodules are growing very slowly; my pulmo thinks this is due to inflammation from RIPF. While he keeps ordering six month interval scans he is more focused on the increase in fibrosis and watching out for a lung cancer mass (more likely because of the radiation damage.) Your pulmonologist will be able to compare this CT to your prior scans, decide on its significance and recommend follow-up.

• bookworm14
    bookworm14 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Maggie15,

I hope she can just call me to let me know rather than waiting for an appointment as those can take a bit to set up. I’m thinking she will probably have me scan again at 3 months to see if there are any changes and then make a decision. Thanks for posting!

• bookworm14
    Options

back on a 3 month CT follow up for now. Luckily, nothing screamed cancer, but we have a few spots we have to watch.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Good news! Watching lung nodules certainly cultivates patience.

• bookworm14
    Options

Maggie15,

It definitely does! Just going to hope for the best and enjoy the time between scans.

• bookworm14
    Options

New CT results Looks like more scans coming up

Impression

Scattered soft tissue nodules within both lungs most of which are stable in size Progression of the juxtapleural discoid opacity in the superior left lower lobe Stable mildly prominent mediastinal lymph nodes Follow-up PET-CT is recommended due to the increased size of the opacity in the superior segment left lower lobe Electronically signed by: Richelle Legnon Date: 04/23/2024 Time: 11:40

Narrative

CMS MANDATED QUALITY DATA - CT RADIATION - 436 All CT scans at this facility utilize dose modulation, iterative reconstruction, and/or weight based dosing when appropriate to reduce radiation dose to as low as reasonably achievable. CLINICAL HISTORY: (MRN5140382)41 y/o (1/14/1983) F Lung nodule, > 8mm; Solitary pulmonary nodule history of breast cancer TECHNIQUE: (A#44481779, exam time 4/23/2024 9:50) CT CHEST WITHOUT CONTRAST IMG200 Axial CT images of the chest were obtained from the thoracic inlet to the upper abdomen. COMPARISON: 01/19/2024, 06/01/2023. FINDINGS: Visualized neck: Within normal limits. Lungs: Scattered pulmonary nodules bilaterally with index nodules outlined below: , Stable 3 mm juxtapleural nodule anterior right upper lobe image 51 Stable 5 x 6 mm nodule right upper lobe image 68 Stable 4 mm nodule right upper lobe image 105 Stable 5 x 4 mm juxtapleural nodule right middle lobe image 206 Stable 3 mm juxtapleural nodule left upper lobe image 49 Stable 6 mm nodule left upper lobe image 62 Resolution of the 3 mm nodule left upper lobe image 72 Progression of the juxtapleural opacity in the superior left lower lobe measuring 20 x 17 mm previously measured 16 x 6 mm Stable fissural nodule in the anterior left lower lobe measuring 15 x 8 mm Resolution of the ground-glass opacity in the right lower lobe. There are no new pulmonary nodules or infiltrates. There are no pleural effusions. Airway: The trachea and central bronchial tree appear normal. Pleura: There is no pleural effusion. There is no pneumothorax. Cardiovascular: The heart is normal in size. There is no pericardial effusion. The thoracic aorta and great vessels are normal in course and caliber. Mediastinum: Stable 11 mm nodule in the anterior superior mediastinum Stable 14 x 12 mm precarinal node. There is no new hilar or mediastinal adenopathy. Soft tissues: Bilateral mastectomies with reconstruction. There is no chest wall mass. Musculoskeletal: The visualized osseous structures appear normal. There are no suspicious osseous lesions. Esophagus: The esophagus is patulous possibly indicating dysmotility. Upper Abdomen: Fatty infiltration of the liver. The adrenal glands are normal.