Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Recurrence after mastectomy

Options

Hi,

I just found out there’s a tiny nodule with residual DCIS, 10 months post mastectomy. I’m freaking out about these new findings. Has anyone experienced a recurrence post mastectomy? My surgeon plans to perform a lumpectomy followed by radiation. I’m terrified it will have spread elsewhere since recurring so quickly. Looking for any kind of reassurance or similar experiences. Thanks!

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

loverly,

So sorry that you find yourself in this situation. I cannot even begin to count the number of members we have who have been in your shoes and hopefully someone with personal experience will respond soon. While this is not what you wanted to happen, it sounds like a very small non- invasive area that your mo feels can be treated fairly simply. If it is only DCIS , it cannot spread elsewhere as DCIS is not invasive so cannot spread. Many consider DCIS to be pre-cancerous because of that fact. Take care

• loverly5
    loverly5 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Thank you for the kind comment. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and offer words of encouragement. This journey can be so lonely!

• aprildays22
    aprildays22 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I'm also so sorry to hear you find yourself in this situation. Sending you all the very best for your surgery and treatment.

And ps. It sure can be a lonely place - and I completely understand.

• biz.kenney
    biz.kenney Member Posts: 2
    Options

I see your post was from a few months ago, just wondering how you’re doing loverly5? Hope you’re getting to the other side of this recurrence.