Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What does oncologist do for you when there is essentially no regimen left?

Options

Hello,

I am not really sure how to appropriately phrase this question, essentially what does your oncologist do for you when there is no option left, beside suggesting clinical trial?

Maybe this is a better way to put it,

Beside suggesting clinical trial, how does your oncologist decide on your next regimen when all regimens for your particular disease have been used?

Thank you for your reply.

Nguyen

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 925
    Options

I may not be the person who should answer this but since nobody else has responded here goes. If there are no other treatments left your MO will probably set you up with palliative care or hospice depending on prognosis and preferences.

Palliative care eligibility requires being diagnosed with a serious chronic illness requiring pain management and complex care. It focuses on pain control and preserving function. You can still receive medical care meant to prolong life even if the cancer isn't being treated. I have a palliative care doctor (disease other than mbc) and will probably be around for a while.

Hospice is for those with a six month life expectancy (doctor's estimate) where comfort care and pain relief is the focus. Hospice provides home nursing help and equipment like a hospital bed. Both have social workers and counselors available while hospice also provides spiritual care and family support.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 435
    Options

Nguyen, I know little but I would think its time to seek another opinion.

It seems some diseases are managed with multiple drugs. Sometimes reduced doses of multiple drugs. I havent heard they are doing that yet for us. I spose multiples for MBC would be quite toxic. Just thinking outlook. I wish I could do something to help.

Gailmary

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 490
    Options

@nnguyen Just yesterday I saw a Nurse Practioner who was involved in the Ibrance trials. She has worked with breast cancer patients for 23 years. She said that she bumped into a few patients at the end of medications to try, so they either started Ibrance or returned to Ibrance and had good luck with the drug. I believe it has to do with mutations. Please ask your MO, or find another. Best wishes for you.