Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in February 2024? Gather here for support!

Options
2»

Comments

• kyrexvstuesday
    kyrexvstuesday Member Posts: 7
    Options

I finished one full cycle on March 6. Strategically skipped March 13 to go to the beach for a week with my wife and tween daughter and her bestie. Because I’ll be in the thick of this in the summer and I wanted to make some happy memories while I still felt like I could enjoy it. Started losing my hair in giant clumps so I decided to take control of the when and the how and shaved it into a military buzz when we got home from the beach. I start the second cycle this Wednesday and will keep on until the end of May. Then I’ll start AC and Keytruda every 21 days for four cycles. A month to rebuild my WBCs and surgery and recovery will take me to the end of 2024.

• jmfws10
    jmfws10 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello all,

I am officially through 2 rounds of AC, with my third this Monday. My hair started coming out, I was warned, but man - buzzing it was hard. Much harder than I thought it would be.

Glad to hear that treatment was easier with a port, hoping for the same thing! I get my port Thursday, with my next chemo Monday.

Days 5-7 have been the hardest for me. I feel like that’s when the meds start to wear off and I’m hit with digestive issues and bone/joint aches. They have me taking Claritin to help with that, so I can’t imagine what it would feel like without.

I really look forward to hearing how everyone is doing in this forum. While I have a good support system, I am still doing this alone. No one else is losing their hair and having all of these meds in them. It. An be lonely, so I’m glad to have you all.

• sheila64_
    sheila64_ Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hey @jmfws10

yep my story similar to yours. I’m pretty bald now and comfortable around the house but outside wear a hat or scarf turnabout turban. Day 5-7 was hardest and I’ve just completed number 2 of TC chemo which I’m having every three weeks. Docetaxal and Cyclophosphamide.

it can be lonely so reach out anytime. Yeah the meds wow I’ve never taken so many but happy that they manage a lot of side effects.

• purpletiger
    purpletiger Member Posts: 12
    Options

finished round 3 of AC and it hit me hard. Much more nausea this time especially when I walked into the hospital and feeling weak a week later - like my legs may buckle. I stopped trying to exercise so I think I have to try baby steps to get back to walking daily which is when I felt my best. However, glad I only have one more AC to go and then I start Taxol with Perjeta. Really hoping it’s not as bad for me as AC.

good news is I’ve managed to stay out of the hospital - no more infections yet.

hope everything is going well or at least as well as can be expected ladies!

• dawn68
    dawn68 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2
    Options

Hi Ladies! Hope you all had a lovely Easter. It has been a bit busy around here with Easter and our daughter's 16 birthday 😊

@purpletiger AC is rough. Honestly the worst chemo. I don't know anything about Perjeta but Taxol is definitely easier than AC. You are almost through the worst of the chemo so hang in there, it does get easier after AC.

@jmfws10 you must be done your 3rd round of AC by now as well. How are you managing? Yes, please do reach out if you want to chat or have any questions, etc.

@kyrexvstuesday I know what you mean about taking the time to make happy memories. But you will get back there again, chemo doesn't last forever 😊.

I'm trying to work with my breast surgeon (BS) and oncologist (MO) on the timing of my surgery post chemo so I can go to Canada to see my family and my best friend for a few weeks first… to make those memories… and quite frankly to take a break to do something fun and relaxing. BS is pushing me to do the surgery (mastectomy with full reconstruction) within 4 weeks of finishing chemo (usual standard of care) but if I go to Canada surgery will be week 8 after chemo. I'm going to talk to my MO today to get his view of the risk of waiting a few extra weeks. Good news is the chemo is working. My BS says it looks like Swiss cheese on the ultrasound. All broken up so they can not see a clear "lump" anymore… yea!

@sheila64_ how are you doing? Are you halfway through chemo yet?

Today is #6 infusion for me… just Paclitaxel today… so I will be halfway through the chemo/immuno part of this journey. I still have a little bit of hair but it is shedding. Hubby says I look like a baby bird as it is all fuzzy 😂. Every morning I have to take one of those sticky lint rollers from IKEA and clean the hair off my pillow😁.

Side effect wise, I am definitely getting more fatigued. Day 3-5 (after the 2 steroid days) are still the worst. I know I should be walking on those days because it will help but honestly I don't really have the energy. I was getting mild annoying nausea on those days as well and the original nausea meds they gave me were not working. They gave me some new ones (ondansetron) which work much better. Just fyi in case any of you are struggling.

Sending big hugs to all of you… we got this!

• sheila64_
    sheila64_ Member Posts: 12
    Options

@dawn68 yep halfway number 3 cycle coming up 8/4. The fatigue is certainly cumulative some days I have little energy and can only just manage the 2 ks with the dog. Sometimes I question the validity of 4 -6 cycles of chemo particularly when I’m really struggling when I read 3 cycles would do as well or at least they don’t have good evidence either way. Oh well I’m not an Oncologist. My Mental health is a struggle and Oncologist is weighing up number 4 cycle.
    So hard to know what to do.

• jmfws10
    Options

@dawn68 You are right, I’m through my third AC and it hit me hard. I struggled days 5-7. I was actually just telling my husband that although I’m feeling physically better yesterday and today, I’m struggling mentally today. Just feel mentally tired and probably a little depressed. It’s just a lot, a relentless cycle that just keeps going. Just need to keep reminding myself that this isn’t forever, and that it’s working, which is the most important part.

Monday is my fourth and final AC, hoping things get better after that. I’ll still have 4 rounds of Taxol to get through, but hoping it’s easier - even by a little.

So glad you’re all hanging in there, it sucks but we’ve got this.

• purpletiger
    Options

checking in… was struggling with nausea in the last AC and just didn’t feel like being online. I’m working thru treatment so all I could do was focus on work.

Got loading doses of Perjeta, Herceptin and Taxol last week and got a Lapelga shot on Saturday. The bone and muscle pain has been so bad that had to get stronger pain meds yesterday, Claritin and Tylenol weren’t helping. I have 3 more rounds to go so hoping they aren’t as bad as this one. Knees, legs and feet especially hurt. Stayed in bed for 2 days but finally felt I could get up today. The good news is I took L Glutamine and that seemed to help the numbness in my fingers. So glad I kept in touch with the nurses for any side effect to help me get through this.

Thanks for being an outlet here that I can post. It helps.

• purpletiger
    Options

On the other side, I am loving wigs or “hair crowns”. I don’t think I will ever be happy with my natural hair if it grows back. It’s fun, I get so many compliments on my hair and it’s so fast to get ready. I’m so glad I discovered them. What’s one bright side or fun thing you’ve discovered in this process?

• jmfws10
    Options

Hi all. I haven’t felt much like being online either. Struggling through my first of 4 Taxol treatments. The bone and joint pain is intense. Hoping I’m nearing the other side of it in the coming days.

Hope you all are ok.