Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Newly diagnossed: Questions to ask surgeon

Options

Hello all, my first time posting. I am meeting with a doctor tomorrow to discuss my newly diagnosed DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ). What questions should I not forget to ask? What had you wished you had asked in your first appt? I have a list of questions i am asing but I am sure there's stuff I don't even know what to ask.

Thank you 💗

Comments

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 184
    Options

Hi @nilespark44. I’m so sorry. It can be pretty shocking to learn we have anything going on in our breasts. Is it a breast surgeon you are meeting with tomorrow?

Without knowing how much you already know and what tests you’ve already had, I’m not quite sure what to suggest for questions. It sounds like you are prepared somewhat and you’ll have time to ask questions you think of after the fact. Thankfully you’ll also have time to consider treatment decisions after you get all your information and questions answered.

If you don’t already know, they’ll hopefully be able to tell you the size area of the DCIS, if it’s hormone receptive, and what grade it is (low, intermediate or high). Will they need to do any further imaging?

I hope it goes well! Please feel free to share as much as you’d like and ask us anything … we’ll try our best to answer. Take care!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    Options

@nilespark44, welcome to Breastcancer.org, although we're sorry you had to find us!

Meeting with your doctor tomorrow is an important step, and it's wonderful that you're already preparing a list of questions. You may want to check out also this article from our main site, it may help you complete your list!

Questions to Ask Your Surgeon

We hope this helps, and please come back to let us know what you learn tomorrow.

The Mods