Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hysterectomy Question

Options

I am new here. I was diagnosed on 10/2023, IDC HR/PR+ HER2-. Stage 1A. Had Lumpectomy, Accelerated Partial Breast Radiation and on Tamoxifen. Due to some other issues I have, my doctors have decided I need a hysterectomy. Since my cancer is hormone positive, they said I might as well go ahead and get my ovaries out as well. Has anyone had their ovaries removed and how have you done without any estrogen. I am fixing to be 46, but am in perimenopause. I am just nervous about the instant full menopause and how it will make me feel. I do feel good about the hysterectomy, because I am having tons of period problems. Tamoxifen has not stopped my period, I have been on it for almost 3 months.

Comments

• sunflowercat
    sunflowercat Member Posts: 37
    Options

I was dx in 2014, IDC Stage 1B, ER/PR+ HER2-. I tolerated Tamoxifen well for 7 years, but after my periods started getting really heavy and sporadic, I decided to have a hysterectomy with oophrectomy. (4 uterine biopsies, fibroids, and a 3yo golf ball sized ovarian cyst were also factors.)

For me the hysterectomy was the worst decision I have made. I regret not doing more research and opting to keep the one good ovary. Post hysterectomy I have not had a single day in the past 28 months without debilitating joint pain, , fatigue, brain fog. I only took the AI for 3 months due to side effects being so bad. (With MO approval)

Everyone reacts differently, so hopefully you will get some positive perspectives. It's a heck of a lot more than vaginal dryness and hot flashes.

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi @ars31178 -

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

I didn't have a hysterectomy, but I did have an oophorectomy (removed both ovaries and tubes) at age 47, so pretty close to your age. For me, it was my choice so that I could take an aromatase inhibitor (Femara/Letrozole) as it is supposed to be slightly better at preventing bc than tamoxifen. Removing the ovaries by itself is also supposed to help reduce bc recurrence. I did go into 'instant' menopause. I think the average age of menopause is around 51 anyway, so I figured I was getting close. Everyone is different, so you don't know if you will have a hard time with it or not….even true going through it naturally. For me, it was a good decision and I have no regrets.

Best of luck with your decision.