Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Her2 2+ Fish test

Options

Hello ladies.

I have a question.

My mother is almost 76 years old and she has breast cancer with bone metastases almost everywhere, at least this is what the pet ct showed.

Her biopsy says

Er+ 95%+++

5%+

Pr+ 60%+++

10%+

Her2 +2

Her tumor is only 8mm.

I read that her2 +2 is "equivocal". This means that the HER2 status needs to be tested with FISH to clarify the result.

Fish test though takes a lot of time to give results, I read that it might take up to a month.

And everything takes sooo much time. Ct scans, MRIs, biopsies etc. This is so frustrating.

From your experience, is it really necessary to do this test with her2 2+? Does it take that long to take the results?

We have an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, but I can't wait to ask her.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 885
    Options

The FISH test is done for 2+ “equivocal” to see if the Her2 gene is over expressed. If this is the case there are more treatments available, hence its importance. Many hospitals send samples elsewhere for testing so there is often a wait for the results. My test was done at the hospital where I was treated but it took 10 days to get the result because of the backlog. All the testing takes time but cancer is not considered an emergency like a heart attack. However, it is worth the wait to determine the most effective treatment.