Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shrinkage of lump with IDC

Options

my mother 92 had a IDC recurence after 12 years , they won’t operate this time , she started hormone therapy 3 months ago, and her tumor shrank .
I have 3 question is :

-Doe’s it mean the cancer can no longer spread ?

Also ,she gave us the measurements her doctor gave her by phone , but since she has Alzheimer not sure she repeated correctly

Scan # 1. In millimeters 16x10x16

Scan# 2 (6 months later) 13x12x6

-Is that possible? The number 6 … Can a tumor become flat ? Or are they always round

I am thinking number 6 is more like 16

-Why 3 measurements, is a tumor size always only 1 number

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    edited February 23
    Options

sorry to hear about your mom. Unfortunately, while a shrinking tumor is good, it does not mean it can’t spread (I assume you mean beyond the breast). Breast cancer cells can travel through both the lymphatic and blood systems regardless of tumor size or shrinkage. Is spread likely to happen? It’s not really possible to say but rather than focus on something that hasn’t happened and may never happen just try to focus on her current treatment and the things you currently know . I can’t answer your measurement question with certainty but tumors are not perfectly round spheres. They can present in various shapes, globs, blobs and even flat sheets! Wishing the best for your mom.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

Since your mother has Alzheimers, do you or another family member have access to her health information via an online portal? That would give you the accurate information without your mother having the mental stress of trying to remember details. Best of luck to you and your mother.