Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

male, undiagnosed but concerned after Multiple CT scans last year-

Options

I had several CT scans two years ago for non-cancer related issues that have since resolved, but am now having some breast symptoms I'm afraid might be something serious. Unfortunately, I'm laid off and have sky-high health insurance deductibles, so I'm trying to do my due diligence before getting professional advice.

Can anyone point me to more detailed information on sign/symptoms/diagnosis than comes up in a casual Google search? Specifically, I'm thinking about early signs and symptoms related to persistent tissue discomfort (itching and minor subcutaneous pain about three inches from my left nipple toward my armpit, lasting over 3 months.)

I'm a highly trained biomedical scientist, so technical resources would be especially appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

We can certainly empathize with the difficulties around affording healthcare, especially in the US. If you're currently laid off, you should qualify for Medicaid and be able to get referred for a mammogram if the symptoms persist for at least 2 weeks.

Per MD Anderson's website: "The most common symptom of breast cancer in men is a lump or a mass in the breast. Often this turns out to be gynecomastia, or simply a concentration of male breast tissue that can be felt through the skin. The best way to find out if it is harmless is to get a mammogram.

Other symptoms of male breast cancer include nipple discharge, nipple pain and changes in the look or feel of the skin on the breast. That can include redness, an orange-peel appearance, change in color, dimpling or puckering.

Having one or more of these symptoms does not mean you have breast cancer. But it is a sign that you should talk to your doctor, especially if it lasts two weeks or more."

Here are the different tests available to diagnose male breast cancer:

Let us know if you have any additional questions, and if you get any medical updates!