Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did you spend the night in hospital after bilateral mastectomy

Options
nilespark44
nilespark44 Member Posts: 30

Did you spend the night in the hospital after your bilateral mastectomy? My surgeon said he would probably send me home, but it seems like an extensive surgery, so I'm wondering what others did. I am having reconstruction at a later time, not the same time as mastectomy. I am having a skin-sparring mastectomy with temporary tissue expanders.

Tagged:

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    Options

It has become fairly common, in the US at least, to send people home in less than 24 hours if all indications point to a typical recovery. Of course you will be kept longer if any complications arise. My bmx experience was over 10 years ago but even then, hospital stays were beginning to be shortened. This doesn’t seem to be a problem for most and being home is often more restful and no worries about hospital acquired infections. If you are having te’s put in, you are not having reconstruction at a later time, you are beginning the process. Most people do not complete their recon with just one surgery.
    I had an unusual situation in that I had no te’s and went straight to final implant. This is not typical but, I was surprised at how little pain I actually had. You will be sent home with pain meds and I would suggest staying ahead of the pain initially, i.e. don’t wait until you’re in pain to take them! Again, very short stays are now common and don’t seem to be an issue but make sure you are familiar with all discharge instructions. Take care

• nilespark44
    nilespark44 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Thanks, that all makes sense. I just hope I don't mess up the drains. For some reason i am nervous about them. maybe because I have never seen them before and not sure what to expect.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    Options

Just make sure that you’re given explicit instructions on how to care for and measure drain output. For most people they are more of a nuisance than anything else but experiences vary. You can Google them and even see drain care videos on YouTube.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 111
    Options

My BMX with flat closure was in Sept. 2022. I went into the OR around 10 am and was sent home around 1:30 pm. It truly was the definition of "drive-by mastectomy". I didn't mind being discharged the same day, but I was still very woozy and really feel like I should have been given another hour or two in recovery. I had no problems once I was home, so it worked out. I was prescribed pain meds but I only took Tylenol and ibuprofen.

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 57
    Options

I had my double mastectomy this past May. I was required to spend the night….Im glad I did. No complications, It felt good knowing that I had medical professionals looking over me. The drains don’t hurt, mostly just annoying. Best wishes to you!