Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

obgyn found a small mass yesterday

Options

I have very dense breasts. My obgyn found a small mass in my left breast at 1 pm. i had my last mammogram march of 2023. AI 3D very detailed and everything was great.

i am 46 f no history of breast cancer in my family. i can feel what she felt today. it is a small lump. it feels like always i knew my breasts to feel so i never noticed.

I have recently lost 60 pounds so mu breasts have also lost fat. i guess maybe that is why i never felted the lump. I have my mammogram (regular and diagnostic) Thursday. i am terrified.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

@maya77, welcome! We are sorry that these changes to your breast health have brought you here, and glad that you reached out. It's understandable to feel anxious about the upcoming tests, but please know that you're not alone here in this wonderful community.

It is not uncommon for these masses to be cysts associated with your cycle, and sometimes their size fluctuates depending on your hormones every month. Until other members post their experiences, the article What Mammograms Show: Cysts, Calcifications, Fibroadenomas from the main Breastcancer.org site may reassure you. It describes some of the benign results that can come from testing.

Hope this helps! Please update us after your appointment next Thursday and let us know what you learn.

The Mods

• mythreewildboys
    mythreewildboys Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi I am also going through a scare. Do people even post on this forum? I am finding on the breast health forums nobody posts? Anyhow thought for a good mammogram and you are not alone.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

We're so sorry you find yourself here with this worry, @mythreewildboys! We know it can be overwhelming, and we're here for you.

The Mods

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 185
    Options

Hello @maya77. How are you holding up? I hope your mammogram today gives you some answers and it would be so wonderful if it’s all benign. I’m not sure if the mammogram and ultrasound alone can provide enough information to reach that conclusion, so don’t be too surprised if they want to do a biopsy also. The majority of biopsies end up being benign.

I’m sorry you are needing to be here, waiting for answers. We all agree the waiting is the hardest part. I wish you all the best!

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 185
    Options

Hello @mythreewildboys. I’m so sorry I didn’t post the other night when I saw your first post. As my name might suggest, I’m often so tired I can’t even put words together!! I’ve noticed that some weeks it is a bit quiet on the forum, please don’t take it personally.

In your original post it sounds like you also need more imaging? I’m sorry. That’s always scary. I hope it all turns out well for you!! On the one hand we want the imaging to be sensitive and pick up any slight changes but it sometimes creates worry even when everything is totally fine. I’ll post on your original post to bump it up and perhaps others will have some thoughts to share. Take care!!

• maya77
    maya77 Member Posts: 4
    Options

thank you. I am about to go for imaging but staying positive. My breasts have always been bumpy so we will see.

• maya77
    maya77 Member Posts: 4
    Options
  • schlip
    schlip Member Posts: 3
    Options

I've had lumps that felt like peas show up in my breasts, and they have turned out to be cysts. Hopefully, since you have very dense breasts, you are getting ultrasounds along with your mammograms! That can help identify things.

• pinkbutterfly71
    pinkbutterfly71 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Hi @maya77 I also have dense breasts no cancer in my family and on my annual mammo something showed concern so we started with all the testing. Praying yours is just a cyst and nothing of concern. Keep us posted 💕