Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Scared - recent Mammo shows asymmetries on left breast need additional imaging

Options
mythreewildboys
mythreewildboys Member Posts: 4
edited February 29 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone,

Scared lady here! I have been having mammograms for the past 10 years annually. Went in this week expecting all to be normal. I got on my chart and it shows that additional imaging is needed to to multiple asymmetries in the left breast. I think the machine doing the imaging was a 3d machine.

Anyhow in the notes it says that no calcifications or other tumors noted in mammogram. I called to schedule for my diagnostic and I can't get in until April1. That's a real April fools! Is this normal? I was told to call in the mornings for cancellations but honestly, I likely will not sleep for the next month.

I am 55. Normal weight, healthy lifestyle. I don't have family history of breast cancer but I know that really is not important. I am very scared. As for visual asymmetry, I have always been lop sided where my left breast was always slightly larger as long as I can remember. I think the asymmetries they are talking about are different areas seen on the image. Anyhow, thanks for listening.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Hi @mythreewildboys and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We're so sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to get some supportive responses here and find answers to your questions.

In the meantime, you may want to check out what our search results for Asymmetry brings. There are lots of discussions on this topic and it seems like a very common result.

We hope this gives you a little relief.

—The Mods

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 184
    Options

Hello @mythreewildboys. I’m so sorry!!! That does seem like a long wait. In my super limited experience, it’s worth calling every single morning first thing to get the cancellation!! My situation was different but I’ve had several callbacks from my mammograms and it was all fine. Until this time around when I found the lump on my own, I wasn’t called back on my most recent mammogram for that side, go figure! You’ve probably already searched and read these posts but here was an older one from 2020 that I thought was informative. Waiting is truly the hardest part!!! I hope it ends up being fine and nothing that needs attention. That would be a great outcome! I’m hoping that for you … take care and please let us know how it turns out.

(I copied this post from @beesie.is.out-of-office from another thread … I didn’t know how to link an individual post so I hope it’s okay that I just copied and pasted this!!!)

“ Callbacks due to asymmetry are very common. 

This could be something as simple as the way that your breast was positioned and squished in the mammogram machine, causing the appearance of asymmetry. That's exactly what it turned out to be for several women who have posted here recently who've had callbacks due to asymmetry. 

Or if the asymmetry is real, it doesn't mean the cause is malignant. There are lots of benign causes for asymmetry, including fibrocystic conditions. Asymmetry with the absence of other factors (calcifications, a mass, architectural distortion) is more likely to be benign. So it's definitely too early to worry. “

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/asymmetry-mammography

https://breast-cancer.ca/abnorm-mams/

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

@mythreewildboys We're thinking of you! Have you been able to get in after a cancellation? Let us know how things turn out.

—The Mods