Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Impacts from radiation

Options

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I’m having a major issue with the breast that had the original lump/lumpectomy. I finished radiation years ago, but my breasts are now at least 2 sizes different. The radiated one is much smaller, like at least 2 cup sizes smaller.

How do you deal? I have inserts, but they slide around and drive me crazy. How about swimsuits?

I friggin hate bc.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,057
    Options

Hi @finallyoverit,

Have you considered reconstruction for the lumpectomy breast? You can read more about it here:

We hope this helps!

—The Mods

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    Options

@moderators I have and I’m not interested in any more surgery. I’ve had enough of that between the 2 diagnoses.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 925
    Options

I’ve had good luck with Bravo inserts. They used to sell silicone inserts for swimsuits but I’m not sure if they still do. Wearing a mastectomy bra with a pocket for an insert also helps. I’m with you on avoiding surgery. My BS advised against anything but a mastectomy with flap reconstruction because of problems with radiated skin healing.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    Options

I used a rolled up child's sock in my bra for 3 or 4 years, but now I wear pullover bras with foam cups; they're super comfortable and disguise the difference pretty well. I think as time has gone on, I'm a little less particular.