Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Wondering

Options

Hi. I am new to this forum. I had thyroid cancer in 2018 and it was successfully removed. Also had to have a hysterectomy in 2016 due to fibroid tumors. I have been on levothyroxine since before 2016 for hypothyroidism. I have dense breast tissue and I know that this can be a concern when reading mammograms. I’ve recently had a mammogram that was suspicious. They asked me to come in for an ultrasound. The doctor came in and told me that it didn’t look good but he didn’t think it was cancer. I asked him what he thought it was and he said he didn’t know. He said it could be scar tissue it could be an infection. I said what did my doctor say and he said we don’t speak to the doctor. I told him I was recently put on hormones and I was concerned about taking them. He told me I had no reason to be concerned and told me to come back in a year. The mammogram showed a 12 mm nodule with the regular sides. I spoke to my OB/GYN and I told her that I was concerned. They are sending me to a breast surgeon for a second opinion. Does anyone have an idea about whether or not I should be worried? Am I overly concerned? Am I making too much out of this? Please let me know what you think. Thank you

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    edited March 9
    Options

Hi @terabithia , I'm sorry you are dealing with the stress of a callback. There is no way of knowing if you should be concerned without further information. It is always a good idea to have anything unusual checked out by an expert who has more knowledge of breast health than a radiologist. The breast surgeon will be able to advise on whether you need treatment or additional testing and can more accurately answer your questions about hormone therapy. Every situation is different; what happened to other people is no indication of your case.

Hopefully there will be nothing concerning found. Come back and let us know how the appointment goes. By the way, I loved the novel your user name references.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

Agree with maggie15. It is stressful but no one can, or should, guess/speculate about how concerned you should be. I think a second opinion is a great idea. Take care

• bcfightr24
    bcfightr24 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi @terabithia I just recently had my annual mammogram back in January. I received noticed that there were areas of concern and to come back for further testing. I then had another mammogram and sonogram. The radiologist could not confirm cancer so he scheduled me for three biopsies. That was when my fears rang true; I was found to have grade 2 IDC and grade 3 DCIS, and intraductal papilloma.

If I were you I would definitely ask for a second opinion or ask for biopsies. Maybe, then, you can actually get your questions answered.

Good luck and we are all here for you! Stand tall, be strong, and radiate a positive glow 🤗

• terabithia
    terabithia Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you for sharing this with me. I hope everything will turn out well for you. I hope you have a good support group. Keep me posted. Thank you!