Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting on Biopsy

Options

I just had a mammogram and ultrasound done and the radiologist put Birad 4 and told me I needed to get a biopsy. Looking at the details, it seems that I have two areas of "fine pleomorphic" one with grouped distribution and one with linear. I have a biopsy scheduled next week. I am very very upset with this news and am finding it hard to cope. I was wondering if:

1. anyone has had this on their report and what the outcome was
  2. How do you deal with the news of breast cancer? How do you not completely fall apart and think this is the end of your life?

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    edited March 12
    Options

I have not had that type of report as I was stage IV de novo. What I can say is that you are getting very, very far ahead of what you know at this time and although that is typical when you receive news of needing a biopsy it is far from being the end of your life. Yes, emotions can rule at this point but it is worth focusing on what you know to be true vs speculation over things that may not ever happen. Needing a biopsy is stressful for most. Try not to add to your stress by imagining the least likely scenarios. Yes, least likely! Most birads 4 biopsies are benign. While nothing to ignore, the majority of early stage breast cancers are treated and folks go on with their lives. Only a small, roughly 6%, number of newly diagnosed bc cases are metastatic (stage IV where bc has moved beyond the breast) and this is the only stage of bc that is terminal. So, based on what you know right now, and what is likely to happen, you are not even close to end of life concerns.

This isn’t easy and there are no guarantees but right now focus on what you know and don’t jump to the most catastrophic possibilities which may never happen. Take care

• keicholtz
    keicholtz Member Posts: 6
    Options

@exbrnxgrl Thank you for the thoughtful response. I do realize that I'm catastrophizing, but it's so hard to stop when you're in the unknown. I felt like if I could get in the mindset of being told that I have cancer, then it will lessen the blow. I guess that is far fetched.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

@keicholtz We're sorry you are going through this, but if possible, try to take one day, one step at a time. Great advice from @exbrnxgrl. Please keep us posted!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

Yes, it is difficult not to catastrophize at a time like this but it’s a skill worth cultivating.

• keicholtz
    Options

I had my biopsy today. Definitely an uncomfortable experience. The dr explained to me that I had multiple areas of suspicious calcifications. She even mentioned that if it’s cancer, treatment could be mastectomy. While she didn’t outwardly say she thought it was cancer, she did say that the calcifications were suspicious. She did check my armpit lymph nodes and said those look good so if it’s cancer, it hopefully hasn’t metastasized.

I’ll get my results in a few days. Really feeling down and defeated right now.

• moderators
    Options

oh, @keicholtz, we're so sorry. It's really difficult, all the uncertainty. And the waiting is the worst! We're here for you!

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 185
    Options

Hello @keicholtz. I’m sorry you’re going through this … the initial part, full of waiting and all the unknowns, is hard. If it’s benign, that would be wonderful! We wish that for you.

But if it’s cancer, please know that you will find strength to just do it … we all have! Strength from within that you may be surprised to find you have, support from family, friends, even from unexpected people! And especially support from others going through breast cancer. You won’t have to do it alone!!

• keicholtz
    Options

I got my biopsy results today. DCIS. I have not talked to a surgeon yet, but very sad over the news 😭

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 279
    Options

I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It’s never easy to hear the diagnosis. I hope you can quickly schedule a follow up with your doctors to lay out the next steps and treatment plan. There is lots of good information and support on this site. Best wishes.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 185
    Options

I’m sorry @keicholtz. I’m thinking of you tonight.

• moderators
    Options

@keicholtz, we're sorry to hear that. Keep us posted on how we can help you find what you need and get connected in the community. The DCIS Forum may provide some helpful information for now. Please, let us know how you're doing. We are all here for you!

The Mods