Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Embracing What Matters Most After a Metastatic Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Options

Embracing What Matters Most After a Metastatic Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Mar 1, 2024

Grief counselor Kelly Grosklags helps Melissa Jenkins moderate a special Virtual Community Meetup on embracing what matters after being diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

Living with metastatic breast cancer can bring many changes, including to what you find important. This podcast is the audio from a special Virtual Community Meetup featuring guest moderator Kelly Grosklags.

Listen to the podcast to hear Kelly and Community members discuss:

• how to live in the “right now”
  • acknowledging and accepting feelings, but not justifying them
  • the importance of being true to yourself and letting go of things that don’t make you feel good
  • celebrating what brings you joy

Listen now or read the transcript.

Comments

• artesa
    artesa Member Posts: 1
    Options

I joined breastcancer.org in 2011 when I was first dx'd with DCIS. After a bilateral mastectomy and DIEP surgery for reconstruction I got off the site. I took arimidex for 6 years and then developed T cell lymphoma.. they stopped the aromatase inhibitor and began a course of CHOP chemo which I failed. Then I had stem cell transplant which 6 years later has kept me free of the lymphoma.

Last May, 2023, I began to experience shortness of breath when active over a period of weeks, worsening until I was seen by Thoracic at a large hospital in Boston. I had a malignant pleural effusion, a Pleurx drain was inserted in the left lung for 6 months. The Ibrance and letrozole treatment I started in June stopped the leaking capillaries in the pleural area and eventually the drain was removed.

I continue on Ibrance . My dose was just lowered to 100mg since the absolute neuts are still low, .59 even after a 9 days staying off Ibrance. I have to wait another week to start the lower dose. I don't know what to think. Scans are stable. Rib area has healed completely, no nodules found.

I have had two respiratory infections which had me off Ibrance twice for 2 weeks. I was hospitalized for PJB, a serious respiratory pneumonia common to transplanted patients for a week in January. I suppose this is how I'll live for the next year or however long I have. Am I slowly going downhill? Does continued low absolute neuts result in another blood cancer? How does one plan with a life full of medical appointments? How is everyone living out there? I think I made my peace for what is to come. I spend my time walking and hiking local trails with my husband who is extremely supportive. Other then that I read a lot, guilty of too much TV time and ruminating. I'm active and 71 years old. Everything was going so well and now this. I suppose that is how it is for all of us.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

@artesa, we're sorry for what you're here, but wanted to send you a warm welcome to our community.

It's completely normal to have moments of uncertainty and fear in a situation like this, but your determination to keep moving forward despite what you've been through is truly inspiring. There's no doubt that you have a great support system, especially your husband, but we wanted to let you know about our virtual support groups through Zoom, which have been a source of comfort and understanding for many members. If you are interested, please check them out here: https://www.breastcancer.org/community/virtual-meetups These Zoom meetups are a safe space to connect with others who truly understand what you're going through. Please, let us know if we can assist you! We're here for you!

The Mods