Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stereotactic Breast Biopsy next week

Options

It's been almost 7 years since my first discovery of BC (left side). I recently went in for my 14 th mammogram since then and calcification has been popping up on the right one for the last few 3D mammos. It went from 2 or 3 to about 20 tiny dots on the 03/2024 imaging. The report indication said: indeterminate cluster of microcalcifications; about 20. Biopsy recommended.

After watching a few YouTube videos of alleged BC surgeons, some say that it is cancer. Here is my question, can any biopsy cause damage to the area which may or may not present a tiny welcome mat for cancer cells?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Hi @sweetp6217 , I'm sorry you have to deal with the possibility of bc again. I don't think a YouTube video made by a surgeon could tell whether your calcifications indicate a malignancy but the biopsy should give you an answer.

I think you are referring to tumor seeding which can happen but is rare. It is less likely to occur during a fine needle or stereotactic biopsy than during a core needle or vacuum assisted biopsy. If there is cancer any disturbance of the cells should be eradicated by the treatment. There may be bruising, swelling or bleeding but if there is no cancer the only other rare SE would be an infection.

I hope all goes well and you get a benign result. Whatever happens, come back and let us know.

• sweetp6217
    sweetp6217 Member Posts: 120
    Options

I may know something by the 10th of April. Thanks.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    Options

A YouTube video says nothing about your particular situation. Calcifications are just that, not cancer, until proven otherwise and only a biopsy can do that. Imaging is not the ultimate diagnostic tool, biopsy is.

As Maggie noted, you are probably referring to seeding. Theoretically it could happen but the reality is that it is almost (never say never!) never does. In my 12+ years on this forum, I have never seen anyone with breast cancer progression that was attributed to seeding. Take care and yes, waiting is dreadful!

• sweetp6217
    sweetp6217 Member Posts: 120
    Options

Results are benign and they will be seeing me in the fall for another 3D mammogram.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    Options

Glad to hear, @sweetp6217! Thanks for the post. Take care and stay well!

The Mods