Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Numb toes

Options

I'm starting a new thread because I don't see anything recent in the discussions. I've been having a weird feeling in the bottom of my feet. I don't even know how to describe it. Now, I'm noticing numbness in the toes in my right foot—mostly the little toe. It doesn't hurt, and I don't think it's neuropathy like I had when I was getting IV chemo back in 2008.

Has anyone experienced this? I have my MO appointment on Wednesday this week with labs on Tuesday. Along with the continued headaches, "fuzziness" feeling in my head, I just don't know what to think.

Any ideas or thought?

Carol

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    edited April 1
    Options

Hi @sunshine99, if not neuropathy, could it possibly be Hand-foot syndrome? https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment-side-effects/hand-foot-syndrome

Hand-foot syndrome (HFS), or palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia (PPE), is a side effect of some types of chemotherapy and other medicines used to treat breast cancer. Hand-foot syndrome is a skin reaction that occurs when a small amount of the medication leaks out of capillaries (small blood vessels), usually on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. When the medication leaks out of the capillaries, it can damage the surrounding tissues. Hand-foot syndrome can be painful and can affect your daily living. Symptoms of hand-foot syndrome include: numbness tingling, burning, or itching sensation redness (resembling a sunburn) swelling discomfort tenderness rash

And here is a page on neuropathy: https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment-side-effects/neuropathy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,610
    Options

Thank you, mods. I have this on my list to mention to my MO at my next appointment.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 886
    Options

Hi @sunshine99 , The numb toes could be due to anything that affects circulation. Mine go numb because of Reynaud's but high blood sugar, lack of oxygen or any other cause of peripheral artery issues can have this SE. I hope it's something that is easily fixed.

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 520
    Options

Hi Carol,

check out this spinal nerve function chart. I tried posting a clear screenshot but you can always search for it to find a better quality image. The chart shows the source of numbness in the toes related to pressure on nerves around the L5- S vertebra. hope that helps.

• mswife
    mswife Member Posts: 66
    edited April 13
    Options

@sunshine99 are you still on truqap and have your blood sugars been elevated? This sounds sort of like the stocking/glove neuropathy associated with elevated blood glucose.

Low b12 would be another consideration.

• sunshine99
    Options

So far, my fasting blood glucose and A1C have been fine. I’ll ask about the B12. Numbness seems to be spreading and now I’m having occasional numbness in my left forefinger. It’s just weird.

• sunshine99
    Options

snow-drop, I missed your comment. Thank you for that. I’m monitoring it and will mention it again when I see my MO.