Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Waiting on biopsy

Options

Hi!

Never thought I'd be here, but I guess that's the same for everyone.

Long story short, I found a lump while in the shower a few weeks ago. Went to see PCP, referred for mammogram and ultrasound. Got back the report with a bi rads score of 5.

Findings:

Heterogeneously dense breasts.

Upper Inner quadrant, 1 o'clock, 1.5cm, high density spiculated mass, non parallel, with incidental benign-appearing lymph nodes (not 100% sure what the lymph node finding means).

I have the biopsy on Tuesday next week. It will have been the longest 13 days ever. Bracing for bad news, but still optimistic (or delusional?)

So while I wait out the next few excruciating days, thought I'd check in for some company (and sorry you're here too!)

I have a question...the area where the lump is has started to hurt. I can't really explain the type of pain. It's mild but nagging. Maybe it's just I'm hyper aware at the moment. Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 110
    Options

Once I found my lump, I couldn't resist palpating it daily- to see if it changed, if it disappeared (wishful thinking), etc. Eventually it started to hurt. Don't know if that applies to you, but it might explain it. It sounds like the lymph nodes were simply in the visual field that was studied, and they look normal. That's a good thing. I had a lymph node seen that looked suspicious, but it biopsied benign.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    Options

Hi @lh1981, and welcome. We're so very sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're glad you decided to join and post for support. We're here for you and wishing you the best while you wait for your biopsy and results.

Sending hugs! Please keep us posted with your news.

—The Mods

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 386
    Options

Pain has happened for many people with a breast cancer diagnosis. Of course it happens for many people without one. Either way it will have no bearing on your biopsy but if you can in the meantime try not to palpitate it too much. I hope very much that this turns out to be a false alarm but if it doesn't we'll be here for you. This wait period is awful we know.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 188
    Options

Hello @lh1981. I read on this forum every night after learning I was Bi-rads 5 and found a lot of encouragement and good humor … it helped me pass the time! I really admire your courage in posting and letting us all wait with you!! I’m so sorry you are having to do the wait.

I also noticed tenderness in my otherwise painless lump before the biopsy and it probably was a combination of the compression of the mammogram images (they took quite a few) and the ultrasound wand prodding the lump repeatedly and more likely, my poking at it. It’s like I trained my brain to notice it!

I know it’s a small percentage that have a benign result with Bi-rads 5, but someone has to be in it. Keep hopeful!!

• lh1981
    lh1981 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate your support. I'm sorry you find yourselves in this boat, and that there's even a boat to begin with! I'm sure as well as the prodding and poking, I'm just tuned into every tiny thing right now.

Feeling ok this morning. Had a birthday karaoke thing with some close friends yesterday evening (thank heavens for sound proofing!), bbq at a friend's this afternoon and tomorrow I have a very busy day at work, so I have so much else to focus on between now and Tuesday I'm hoping not to feel too anxious.

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend!

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 260
    Options

Hi lh1981,

Waiting for the biopsy and results is diffcult. Typically the biopsy results are in pretty quickly. Ask the radiologist about how long you should expect to wait for the results.

Following your thread while you wait for results. You are not alone. Sending warm thoughts your way. :)

• lh1981
    Options

Thanks wondering44 :)

Done with my biopsy this morning (it was totally fine, no pain), should hopefully have results by end of the week.

They didn't say the c word, but they did give me a hug and tell me that I'm going to be ok and that it's tiny (1.4cm x 1cm x 0.8cm).

Waiting out the rest of the week now, sigh!

• moderators
    Options

Glad to hear that that experience went okay. Please let us know when you find out the results! We'll be holding you in our thoughts and hoping for the best. 🤗

• needs.a.nap
    Options

Hi @lh1981. I’m glad your biopsy went well yesterday. I remember going in for my biopsy (it all felt so surreal) and my nurse told me she was a 5 year breast cancer survivor and that immediately helped me feel stronger! I’m thinking of you as you wait to get your results.

• wondering44
    Options

Wishing you quick results. Please keep up posted on updates. Happy for you that your biopsy was painless. :)

• lh1981
    Options

Results in.

Invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 2. Report doesn't seem to have any information on ER, PR or HER status.

• kaynotrealname
    Options

I'm so sorry, LH. If you get the whole report and have any questions we'll be glad to help. Many hugs sent your way…

• moderators
    Options

We're so sorry, @lh1981. It's a lot to process, take it a day at a time. We're here every step of the way.

The Mods

• wondering44
    Options

Hi lh1981,

Sorry you had to join the club. It is a lot to process. The hr, pr, and her2 will come a little later in the process. There unfortunately will be more waiting for results. However, now that you have the dx things should start moving along with a team.

Try to breathe. You may hear what you should do or not do or how you should feel or not feel. Feel what you feel. Take time to decide what is best for you. This is your dx.

When questions come up feel free to post for any insight to read. There is a lot of knowledge here from others who have joined the club.

Sending hugs to you.

• needs.a.nap
    Options

I’m really sorry @lh1981 … my heart squeezes for you right now. There’s no easy way to digest that news. We are here for you, if and when you need us.

“It's a big, big sucky club with lots of wonderful people and there's comfort in the sheer size of it.” … Quoting from an older post by @kaynotrealname

• lh1981
    Options

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you all! I think I was a little in shock yesterday, despite being prepared for this result.

Does anyone know when hormone/protein receptor testing happens? Will they wait until surgery, or likely test on existing biopsy samples? I'm not sure what next steps are yet, I'm sure all will reveal itself in due time, sigh.

One more question. My mom has terminal cancer and I'm planning to travel to uk to see her next week for three weeks. We have a trip planned for her with my two sisters, we haven't all been together for nearly 15 years. I'm thinking a few weeks won't make a difference?? This sucks.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 886
    Options

Hi @lh1981 , I received receptor testing after the biopsy but it changed some on the surgical biopsy which is more accurate since they have the entire tumor rather than just a small sample.

I had to wait over a month for surgery on my 3.2 cm tumor until an infected jawbone for which I was getting IV antibiotics cleared up. While traveling may not seem to be a priority, as someone with family on both sides of the Atlantic I understand the importance of your trip. If you can get in for a pre-surgical appointment before you leave you could schedule surgery for after you return. Otherwise, before your trip schedule the pre-op appointment as soon as possible after your return. You don't want to delay too long but given the relatively small size of your tumor and the importance of seeing your mom and sisters I wouldn't blame you for going. I hope both the trip and your surgery go well.

• kaynotrealname
    Options

Thanks Need-a-nap (great name by the way)! I forgot I wrote that but it's just as true today that's for sure :)

LH, the receptor scores, grade, and estimated size and whether there is lymph node involvement should be on your report from your biopsy. It could change after surgery but it's usually fairly accurate. But even with your trip you should be able to schedule your treatment to start within six weeks of diagnosis so as long as this is a hormone positive tumor that should be fine. If you find you have triple negative or a HER2+ one, then definitely discuss with your doctor. Sometimes they don't want to delay treatment for those although if you insist, of course they would.

• lh1981
    Options

Ok spoke to an actual human today. Call with my PCP. He talked me through a few things and forwarded me the full report.

ER + PR +

HER2 is indeterminate? Likely negative.

Bunch of other stuff I don't understand, but doesn't seem to be as significant as the main findings.

Doctor said likely route is chemo and mastectomy but clarified he is not a cancer doctor so I will know more after meeting with oncology team.

Have a video call with Oncology nurse tomorrow morning who will talk me through my biopsy report and schedule oncology appointment. Most likely after I get back from UK.

What a week!

• lh1981
    Options

Saw cancer surgeon this afternoon. Went well. They also did BRCA testing, and have scheduled an MRI.

It's up to me whether I go for lumpectomy or mastectomy. I'm torn. Will wait to see what the genetic test and MRI show before I make any decisions but I'm really 50/50 at the moment.

Any advice on that gratefully received!

I'm cleared to travel. Surgery will be scheduled for soon after I get back.

Thanks to all of you for your support in this, it's been a real lifeline. I hope everyone is doing well!

• moderators
    Options

@lh1981, have you looked at our article yet comparing mastectomy vs lumpectomy? That could help you weighing the different pros and cons around making that decision, at least as a starting off point.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

If your tumor is Er and Pr positive and HER2 negative, you won't know whether you'll need chemo until an oncotype test is run on the pathology samples. That test is not done locally, and can take 2 or 3 weeks to get the result. My surgeon and even oncologist thought I'd be getting chemo because my sentinel node had a micromet, but my oncotype was surprisingly low, so I didn't need it. I hope you get the same results.