Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Surgical Options

Options

I was just diagnosed and am deciding between treatment options. I am already scheduled for surgery but now I am having doubts about the Lumpectomy and subsequent radiation therapy. In my honest opinion, I now feel that the mastectomy could be the better choice due to avoiding the radiotherapy and hormone therapy. Feeling very confused and there is very little time to decide. However, the waiting period post biopsy was more challenging than this I think. At least I know now.

Comments

  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,185
    Options

    Hi @splendidlysunny1, and welcome to Breastcancer.org. We're so sorry to hear of your diagnosis but we're really glad you've found us and decided to post for support. You're sure to find our amazing Community a wonderful source of advice, information, and encouragement — we're all here for you!

    We know others will be by shortly to share their experiences and offer some insight to you. In the meantime, you may be interested in this article:

    We hope this helps. Please keep coming back, asking questions, and getting the support you need. Let us know what you decide and how else we can help you.

    —The Mods

  • needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 188
    Options

    Hello @splendidlysunny1 and that’s a wonderful name!! I’m so sorry you need to join us here and that you are facing such stressful choices. May I ask what you know so far about your tumor? I can see the tags of it being ER/PR+ and Her2- but can’t tell if it’s DCIS or IDC or something else … that might help prompt replies from others who had the same type of cancer as you. Also, do you know how big it is?

    Some helpful and wise advice I received in the beginning was to take my time to truly understand my treatment options … of course it felt like time was of the essence and all, but in the end, I definitely could have gotten 2nd and 3rd opinions, there was time.

    Could you meet again with your surgeon to express your concerns? I’m sorry. We may take way more time to figure out a car purchase than we get to figure out a cancer surgery decision!! I’m hoping you get more information to help you feel at peace with your decision.

  • l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 99
    Options

    Hello Splendidlysunny1, I agree with needs.a.nap, a little more information about your situation would be helpful in responding. I chose BMX based on tumor grade 2, ER+ >95%, Pr- <5% and HER- was borderline (FISH), so fairly aggressive cancer. I was 57 when diagnosed and didn't want to deal with cancer in the other breast. Also, I'm not a fan of scans and the anxiety that comes with that, so the bilateral made sense for me versus a lumpectomy. With your cancer being ER+, you will probably take an AI or Tamoxifen post surgery even if you have a BMX. I would try to meet with your surgeon's office if possible to iron out your concerns. Hoping you get the answers you need. All the best.

  • splendidlysunny1
    splendidlysunny1 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 21
    Options

    Thank you everyone who replied to my post. I truly appreciate the energy and incredibly helpful suggestions.
    I have 1A invasive tubular carcinoma .3cm ER+ 90%, PR+ 80% HER- 0 left breast.
    The doctor offered me the opportunity to check out the radiotherapy department. Though seeing it in person doesn’t lend much to those concerns.
    I do not want additional surgery, though the choice is not a popular one nor would it be easy at first.
    I have had my share of other surgeries including total hysterectomy and just don’t want to deal with more of that.
    However, I will do my best to take some time to examine the reconstruction option as I am still in my 40s.

    1A invasive tubular carcinoma .3cm

    ER+ 90%, PR+ 80% HER- 0

  • needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 188
    Options

    Hello @splendidlysunny1. Invasive tubular … interesting! Thank you for sharing these details. Perhaps you’ve already stumbled upon this thread? If you post on that thread it will notify the “regulars” there if they have it bookmarked and they may be able to be a helpful resource. Or you could add to your thread title the words - Invasive tubular to catch attention … just a thought since you are in the “less common” breast cancer category but there are others on here with the same type.

    I think I can now understand you not wanting additional surgeries!! I recently had my second one to finish my implant reconstruction with a significant reduction of the other breast … although I’m young and very healthy (ok, well, 50yrs old) I am so frustrated with the toll it has taken having two major surgeries within the past 8 months. It really is a factor to consider as plastic surgeons enthusiastically speak about reconstruction options and the prospect of an improved figure can be appealing. Even when everything heals quite well, without complications, it can still be a big commitment of time and energy (and money … my surgeries fell in two separate insurance coverage years so it’s cost me an arm and a leg for my reconstructed chest … I have very high maximum out-of-pocket costs and wish it all fell within one insurance coverage year!) But I’m so grateful I didn’t need radiation with the results of my mastectomy since the hospital is about an hour away. I’m not sure how I would’ve managed all that.

    Sorry if this is too much information! Best wishes on making a sound decision that fits your life and your needs.

  • splendidlysunny1
    splendidlysunny1 Member Posts: 4
    Options

    Thank you so much @needs.a.nap this is all so helpful — not too much information at all.

    Sharing what you have been through also helps me to understand other's journeys through BC as I am only beginning to learn.

    Many thanks again.