Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Antibiotics use linked to poor survival in MBC??

Options

Hi everybody

I just read several studies that link antibiotics use to worst oucome in breast cancer...

But been metastatic with continue cures and low white blood cells I unfortunately have to use them from time to time. Now I got a cold with ear infection and I'm terrified to have to take them, after I'm reading all this!

Do anybody else get antibiotics prescribed for infections, or your MO try to avoid them? I think my oncologist doesn't know about this...

Anybody ear about this topic before or know anything about?

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    Options

Do you have a link to these studies?

• amel_83
    amel_83 Member Posts: 134
    Options

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1043661820313803

• amel_83
    Options

Some are about breast cancer, some about metastatic breast cancer. If you type on google MBC and antibiotics some come out...

I don't want to freack out nobody, but I'm concerned...

I just want to understand if it is something that other oncologists are aware, and so try to avoid them, or if it is not that important...

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Though there is certainly reason to explore this issue further, the research cited is a bit inconclusive and does not suggest anything actionable at the moment. Personally, this is too preliminary for me to worry about and if I truly had a need for antibiotics, I would take them.

“Conclusions

The association of antibiotics with breast cancer risk appears to differ between the various antibiotic classes. Whether this association is causal remains unclear, requiring further clarification and mechanistic studies”

This is the concluding paragraph from the last two articles you cited.

• amel_83
    edited April 21
    Options

Yes you are right.

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm a little relieved

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 118
    Options

@amel_83, a lot of the research suggests the issue may lie with the gut flora. I always take pro-biotics for my gut flora - it seems to help with some of the side effects I get when taking anti-biotics. In any case there is also research around that suggests ant-biotics may help treat cancer. So, I think there is a lot of research to be done in this area before we are close to a definitive answer.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

malleemiss251,

Good point about the gut flora which is mentioned in the articles Amel cited.
    I think, in general, many articles and preliminary research projects, can indicate that something may result in XYZ problem. Notice how my sentence was couched in indefinite terms. Those preliminary studies, if thought promising enough, then get funding to research/study the situation further.
    I am not a doctor or medical professional but I generally understand the research process (though retired, I am an avid consumer of educational research). I don’t know if doctors are aware or how much credence they give to such preliminary observations. Certainly these articles do not even remotely suggest anything actionable with respect to bc and antibiotics.

• amel_83
    Options

@malleemiss251

Thank you!

I will definitely take probiotics with them!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,039
    Options

amel, I’ve been living with mbc for over 13 years. From time to time during those years, I’ve had to take antibiotics for things like step throat or bronchitis. I would not hesitate to take them again if needed.

• amel_83
    Options

@divinemrsm

Thank you for your answer,

I shouldn't worry so much about it than!