Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Herceptin Side Effects

Options

As a 22+ year survivor of Stage 4 MBC de novo, I have been on Herceptin for about 21 years. I have not had any problems until about a year ago.

During the infusion, I have chills and shaking. Sometimes it helps to request a warm blanket, hot cocoa and turning on the seat heaters. As soon as I leave the chemo center and if it is a hot day, the chills stop immediately. I learned that the Herceptin powder is refrigerated, and then mixed with saline.

When I arrive home, my BP goes as low as 65/47 and I get a 103 fever and am achy.

I am also on Xeloda, which doesn't seem to make a difference.

My nurses suggested that I take Claritin before my appointment, but that gave me tremors as soon as I entered the building. So it isn't an allergy to the Herceptin.

I am wondering about asking for the Phesgo injection, but I am past the stage where I would need Perjeta and not happy about hair loss.

Any suggestions?

Denise

Comments

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,025
    Options

I don’t think perjeta or PHESGO will make you lose your hair. My hair is thinner than it used to be after regrowth from chemo, menopause and endocrine therapy but I am not bald or balding from PHESGO.

That said, there is also an injectable that is Herceptin only. the name of it is Herceptin Hylecta. It was developed before PHESGO and I was on it for awhile before PHESGO was available. You might try that if you don’t need the Perjeta?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,081
    Options

@olma61 Good point about Herceptin Hylecta — @denny123 Here is a link to check it out: Herceptin Hylecta

Also, there are Herceptin biosimilars you might want to ask about that might have less of an effect on you. You can read about them here: Herceptin biosimilars

We hope this helps!

—The Mods