Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

quick MRI Biopsy Results are already in MyChart, but I'm not looking...

Hello-

I had an MRI guided biopsy today for a BIRADS-4 designated 5mm non-mass enhancement (focal with washout kinetics) that was found on a baseline MRI two weeks ago (dense breasts, multiple u/s biopsies and high risk assessment score got me approved for the MRI); the procedure itself went fine. Lengthier than the ultrasound guided biopsies, but relatively pain-free. I had a mammogram afterwards to check the clip placement one more time.

I left the hospital around 11:30am and my results were already updated in MyChart by 1:30pm. The doctor who performed the biopsy said she would call with results within 1-2 days. I typically get biopsy results in about 24-48 hours from this hospital, so I was surprised to see my results in the system within hours. I'm really hoping this is a good sign and am grateful for quick results either way. But, the waiting…I know everyone in this topic area can relate. Send some positive vibes my way please! Thank you!!

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

I really hope you do get benign results! I don’t think the timing means anything (sorry) other than that they were not backed up in the lab. You certainly can wait until your doctor calls, but not looking at your online portal won’t change anything. I think whether one “looks” or not before speaking/seeing the doctor is simply a personal choice. Wishing you the best.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 581

Sending positive vibes for the best possible news.

• clark1304
    clark1304 Member Posts: 19

Thank you! I'm just worried if I look and it's not great news, I'll have questions that can't be answered immediately and might have to wait until tomorrow (now that it's after 5pm ET).

• malleemiss251

In one respect, I wish I could see my results before I saw onc so that I can frame any questions I might have. My onc is very selective about the info she tells me - not wanting to scare the horses, I guess. But in Australia you have to wait for 7 days after the results have been released to onc. So, I have to go into appointments with onc with no info. Then after appt I check portal and look at scans and Radiologist report. My GP gives me copies of my bloodwork.

• clark1304

I know; it was part of Obama's 21st Century Cures Act to have this information readily available to patients and in most cases I really appreciate it (for things like strep throat, UTI tests, etc.) when I can learn the results right away. It's a mixed blessing for sure, because on the flip side I don't think I could go into an appt with zero information or wait 7 days to be able to review results. I sent an email through the portal to the care team in the Breast Center asking if someone could call me now that my results are in; they are usually very responsive, so hopefully I'll get a call tonight. If not, I might not have the willpower to prevent myself from checking today. Thanks again for the positive vibes!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

I agree with you malleemiss. I can see my results as soon as they are posted and that is almost always before I actually see my mo. This allows me to formulate questions, ask for clarification, etc. In the moment, that is to say sitting in the doctors office, I know I wouldn’t be quick enough to think of all the relevant questions. However, like much in life, each of us deals with things in the way that they are most comfortable. Take care

• clark1304

Ended up being Focal atypical lobular hyperplasia, not cancer. I am so relieved;had I looked I would have known right away and likely saved myself two nights of worrying.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

Great news @clark1304! Thank you for updating us.

Here is some info on ALH, if you're interested.

—The Mods

• clark1304

Thank you very much!

• malleemiss251

Excellent news @clark1304 - always good to begin the day with good news.