Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant infection after 10 months

anne333
anne333 Member Posts: 7

Hello all. I am currently in the hospital after having emergency surgery on my left breast. I am 10 months post-reconstruction. Everything was going fine, then my breast that had the cancer turns bright red, hot and swollen. My doctor replaced my implant with a new one and cleaned everything well. We are waiting to see if the bacterial culture reveals any answers, but it's looking like a mystery. Has anyone had any similar problems with an implant becoming infected so long after surgery date? Any info appreciated. Best of luck to all you lovely ladies.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,460

Hi @anne333,

We just wanted to stop in and send you a hug — what a scary thing to experience! Please keep us posted on what the culture reveals and what your next steps are. We're thinking of you!

—The Mods

• nns121317
    nns121317 Member Posts: 116
    edited May 18

That sounds terrible! Hopefully everything is good now. I had an infection about a month after fat grafting - same symptoms, and spent a week in the hospital. They were concerned the infection would settle around my implant, but that did not occur. My husband once had a bout with sepsis that really took hold next to a hernia mesh - it was explained to me then that infections love to hang out on artificial surfaces, because there isn't a blood supply to send meds or antibodies. I wonder if that's true of breast implants too. Hope you heal soon!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 805

@anna-33 Sorry you had to deal with this and hope your back home quickly. I had the exact symptoms plus a fever but four weeks after implants. It came on suddenly and was the same side where cancer was found. I was at work and was fine in the morning by the afternoon fell very ill. Was admitted to hospital by 5 pm , was crazy. Like you I had implant removed/replaced and pocket flushed but they never found any infection. Figured I would share even though our time frames differ. Implants have been fine now since 2017. Best Wishes.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 781

ane333, it happened to me 8 months after surgery and I took antibiotics and it went away. This is in 2020. I don't have any problems since then. Let us know what your results will be.