Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Waiting for biopsy results

I can’t believe I’m actually here, venting, hoping for any positive feedback. I had a breast reduction 2 years ago. My screening mammo came back negative one year after (so last year) and now this year something has popped up, a focal asymmetry. I had 3d mammo, US, and biopsy. Report said it could be from surgery but “due to mammographic prominence” recommend biopsy. Gave me a general birads 4. US showed ill-defined, hypoechoic lesion with posterior shadowing adjacent to parenchymal distortion. Not good right? Dr performing biopsy said results in 1-2 days and I’m now on day 4 and I am paralyzed with fear. Can’t bring myself to call and see if results are in…I want to endure every last minute I am diagnosis free even tho I’m a nut case right now. I’ve done so much researching, comparing my images to ones online and have myself convinced it’s BC and have gone down the black hole that it’s going to be metastatic! The timing is terrible…my son graduates from high school tmr so I will have a house full of people. Just wanted to vent and maybe look for others who have had this happen post breast reduction. Thanks for listening!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

@fvhrzns, we are so very sorry to hear all you're going through and for the worries that bring you here. Try not to jump to any conclusions until you have concrete facts.

Instead of going down the rabbit hole with "what ifs" and getting yourself even more upset, maybe it's best to know one way or another. You could very well be making yourself sick with worry for no reason at all.

And, if it does turn out to be a breast cancer diagnosis, having that information in hand and starting to learn more about what you're actually dealing with and getting a treatment plan in place will help steady you.

Occupying your mind with worry will only make things more upsetting for you. If you decide you want to wait to hear from the doctor, whenever that might be, could you try to keep yourself busy with the graduation and family around you? Try to stay focused on what's in front of you and around you.

Please keep us posted with what you find out — we're all here for you!

—The Mods

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249
    edited May 22

fvhrzns,

I second the mods comment. Nothing you learn or don’t learn will change whatever the reality of your situation is. I will say that comparing your imaging to things you find online seems a bit unwise unless you are trained to interpret imaging. Please remember that radiologists have years and years of training to learn how to read imaging and biopsy samples. Although it is good that you want to be an active participant in your medical care, please let your doctors do their job (unless you’re a radiologist/doctor yourself!) . Take care

PS: Virtually none of us can believe we’re here. Breast cancer gives little warning to anyone and those who have genetic mutations that may pre-dispose them to bc are in the minority. With what is currently known, the majority of bc cases arise without family history or genetic mutations.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 119

I third the mods comments. Totally agree it would be better to know what you are dealing with than to make 'mountains out of molehills' assuming it might be something else. I hope you can enjoy your son's graduation.

• fvhrzns
    fvhrzns Member Posts: 2

thank you for your words of wisdom! Results came in the morning of his graduation day….i waited until the next day to open them and I’m glad I did as we were able to celebrate the day with friends and family. I’m happy to say the report came back negative! Worst 3 weeks of my life waiting, wondering, dreading.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 119

Yay! Glad to hear the news. Have a great weekend with family & friends.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

@fvhrzns, awesome news! We're so, so glad to hear that the report came back negative.

Best wishes to you!

The Mods